Please, please help

What happens when windows is reinstalling and scanfat is interupted?

Basically, I had problems with corrupted files, and the tech support for the
computer had me reset to factory standards. When windows started loading this
came up:

File:\\?\C:\Program Files\Symantec\Temp

Scanfat Aborted

Fatal Error

After it hung for a few seconds, things finished loading. I *am* waiting for
an email from the tech support, but they took two weeks last time. And the
only way I'll find out if they don't know what they're talking about is if I
have something to compare it against.

Please, I really do need help.

db

fat, fat32 and ntfs is what is
likely to be what the scan is for.

if i'm not mistaken, some laptops
hidden partition having the restoration
files are fat format, while the rest
of the harddrive/disk can be fat32 or
ntfs.

everytime microsoft.com provides a
system update, it creates a hissy fit
for symantec and everything goes
to hell - EVERY-Timeeeee..(echoeing here).......

since symantec is a subscription service
provided as a trial with the factory restore,
you may want to uninstall it.

this option would not be a bad idea since
you are at ground zero with your o.s. now.

go to symantec and look for the instructions
to remove or uninstall, that is if
you don't have the operion in add/remove programs.

if you are successful with removing it, then
save the instructions incase you do a factory
restore again. Or make a disk image of
the system to keep as a backup in the future....

- db
What happens when windows is reinstalling and scanfat is interupted?

Basically, I had problems with corrupted files, and the tech support for the
computer had me reset to factory standards. When windows started loading this
came up:

File:\\?\C:\Program Files\Symantec\Temp

Scanfat Aborted

Fatal Error

After it hung for a few seconds, things finished loading. I *am* waiting for
an email from the tech support, but they took two weeks last time. And the
only way I'll find out if they don't know what they're talking about is if I
have something to compare it against.

Please, I really do need help.

Ron Martell

sundrian said:
What happens when windows is reinstalling and scanfat is interupted?

Basically, I had problems with corrupted files, and the tech support for the
computer had me reset to factory standards. When windows started loading this
came up:

File:\\?\C:\Program Files\Symantec\Temp

Scanfat Aborted

Fatal Error

After it hung for a few seconds, things finished loading. I *am* waiting for
an email from the tech support, but they took two weeks last time. And the
only way I'll find out if they don't know what they're talking about is if I
have something to compare it against.

Please, I really do need help.

Scanfat is a component of Diskeeper defragmenting software. You
probably should contact the manufacturers of Diskeeper
(http://www.diskeeper.com) regarding this problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

I've uninstalled norton and will be contacting Diskeeper. Thank you both,
*very* much, for the quick reply.

db

if i recall, diskkeeper has
a defrag boot up option.
this probably should be disabled.

if you use a freeware like
autoruns from microsoft.com
one of the tabs will provide what
is schedule to run before booting to
desktop.

i'm sure you'll find diskkeeper there
and you can check it off, double click
the file name and it will automatically
disable that registry key...

- db
I've uninstalled norton and will be contacting Diskeeper. Thank you both,
*very* much, for the quick reply.

Hertz_Donut

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message fat, fat32 and ntfs is what is
likely to be what the scan is for.

if i'm not mistaken, some laptops
hidden partition having the restoration
files are fat format, while the rest
of the harddrive/disk can be fat32 or
ntfs.

everytime microsoft.com provides a
system update, it creates a hissy fit
for symantec and everything goes
to hell - EVERY-Timeeeee..(echoeing here).......

Complete nonsense
\

since symantec is a subscription service
provided as a trial with the factory restore,
you may want to uninstall it.

Leaving the computer upnprotected. Not good advice at all.

[...]

Symantec is not your problem. Please disregard the advice given above as it is not very good advice at all.

Honu