Need help please - BSOD

J

joosie

Could someone help me out? In the last 6 months I would occassionally get a BSOD. Mostly they would happen not long after I booted up and mostly random stop messages. Once rebooted there was no problems for a while. I didn't know where to start with the problem and because they were infrequent I never got around to doing anything about it.

In the last 2 or 3 weeks they are a daily occurence and the are mostly stop: 0x08E referring to the file win32k.sys. I did some reading at microsoft and see that this usually points to bad ram or a driver problem. Now they usually happen in the afternoon but the one this morning was a completely different message.

I would really appreciate any help thanks
Deb

A little backgroud to the problem:
My computer is about 4 years old, about 6 months ago my power supply died and took out my motherboard as well. We decided to buy a new motherboard and power supply instead of upgrading to a new computer. About 12 months before the new motherboard was installed I bought a new DVD burner (replacing the old cd burner), and the 2 new sticks of ram (replacing 256mb single stick), a web cam, new 200gig harddrive and a usb hub. Also upgraded to broadband (so new modem) As far as I know there was no power surge, and the power supply seemed to die slowly. It would occassionally click but I being inexperienced didn't realise that this was probably the fan not working. Despite all these additions my tech guys never mentioned that perhaps I should have a larger power supply, I don't know what it is without looking but think probably only a 240watt. Before the motherboard/power supply went caput I had no BSODs, and nothing that idicated any problems to me. The system worked well.

This is the Specs:
CPU: Intel P4 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus P4S800-MX SE
RAM: 2 sticks 512mb PC3200 DDR SDRAM
HDs: C: is 40mb 30% free space
F: is 200mb 16% free space
BIOS version is:AMI v1006.002

I have tried:
reseating and swapping the ram over in the two slots
scanning with Memtest (3 or 4 passes with no errors found)
I have downloaded the latest audio and display drivers but when trying to update it, says it can't find any newer versions when pointing to the newly downloaded drivers.
I tried to reinstall the drivers from the motherboard cd but message told me there was an error but no other details.
I have done a checkdisk/diskcleanup/defrag
I have up-to-date virus and spyware definitions and scan daily with avg and weekly with pestpatrol/adaware
I have scanned with housecall and pitstop.

Events error (application) is a constant:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

E

Edwin vMierlo

joosie,

First of all, let me comment you on the way you have formulated your problem, I really wish that more people would do this like you did, precise, to the point, listing the actions you already have taken. Well done !

Lets start with the COM+ event, you are seeing, the error 80070422 is a "ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED" error, so have a look at your services control panel, and see what is disabled, and / or have a look at your Device Manager and see what devices are explicitly disabled.

your Stop 0x08E, you are correct this could be a memory error, but more likely this is a driver issue. I understand that you have tried to upgrade your drivers for your motherboard but got an error. I think this is our first line of defense. Try to get proper drivers and upgrade (e.g. contact your motherboard vendor or manufacturor)

secondly if the stop is referring to win32k.sys, this could point to a Graphics Driver. again, ensure you are running the latest drivers here.

See if you can upgrade the drivers when in Safe Mode.

and last but not least, ensure you have a backup of your data, just in case all goes completely wrong !

Good Luck,
Edwin.
Could someone help me out? In the last 6 months I would occassionally get a BSOD. Mostly they would happen not long after I booted up and mostly random stop messages. Once rebooted there was no problems for a while. I didn't know where to start with the problem and because they were infrequent I never got around to doing anything about it.

In the last 2 or 3 weeks they are a daily occurence and the are mostly stop: 0x08E referring to the file win32k.sys. I did some reading at microsoft and see that this usually points to bad ram or a driver problem. Now they usually happen in the afternoon but the one this morning was a completely different message.

Deb

My computer is about 4 years old, about 6 months ago my power supply died and took out my motherboard as well. We decided to buy a new motherboard and power supply instead of upgrading to a new computer. About 12 months before the new motherboard was installed I bought a new DVD burner (replacing the old cd burner), and the 2 new sticks of ram (replacing 256mb single stick), a web cam, new 200gig harddrive and a usb hub. Also upgraded to broadband (so new modem) As far as I know there was no power surge, and the power supply seemed to die slowly. It would occassionally click but I being inexperienced didn't realise that this was probably the fan not working. Despite all these additions my tech guys never mentioned that perhaps I should have a larger power supply, I don't know what it is without looking but think probably only a 240watt. Before the motherboard/power supply went caput I had no BSODs, and nothing that idicated any problems to me. The system worked well.

This is the Specs:

I have tried:
I have downloaded the latest audio and display drivers but when trying to update it, says it can't find any newer versions when pointing to the newly downloaded drivers.
I tried to reinstall the drivers from the motherboard cd but message told me there was an error but no other details.
I have up-to-date virus and spyware definitions and scan daily with avg and weekly with pestpatrol/adaware

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

D

deb

Thank you Edwin I will try the drivers again in safe mode. I think I have fixed the COM+ by enabling the service that was disabled so this may just be totally unrelated to the problem. I have also been told to run Memtest again on each separate ram stick. So I will let you know how I get on. Thanks.
Deb
joosie,

First of all, let me comment you on the way you have formulated your problem, I really wish that more people would do this like you did, precise, to the point, listing the actions you already have taken. Well done !

Lets start with the COM+ event, you are seeing, the error 80070422 is a "ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED" error, so have a look at your services control panel, and see what is disabled, and / or have a look at your Device Manager and see what devices are explicitly disabled.

your Stop 0x08E, you are correct this could be a memory error, but more likely this is a driver issue. I understand that you have tried to upgrade your drivers for your motherboard but got an error. I think this is our first line of defense. Try to get proper drivers and upgrade (e.g. contact your motherboard vendor or manufacturor)

secondly if the stop is referring to win32k.sys, this could point to a Graphics Driver. again, ensure you are running the latest drivers here.

See if you can upgrade the drivers when in Safe Mode.

and last but not least, ensure you have a backup of your data, just in case all goes completely wrong !

Good Luck,
Edwin.

Deb

This is the Specs:

I have tried:

Ask a Question