please be gentle

SRF

Reaction score
Hello from a new comer I have a couple of drawbacks 1. age (pensionable) and 2 my second PC is a E systems desktop. I wasn't aware that these are crap until I considered increasing the memory so that i could go from XP to windows 7. I bought the PC from Dixons about 5 years ago and have had no problems. A Crucial scan shows I have 4 memory slots 2 have 512mb each and 2 are empty. Am I flogging a dead horse trying to improve this PC when all I can have is 2GB ram in view of the machines bad Rep Ray

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello ... welcome to PCReview. :wave:

Most of us here are, old. :nod:

Pop on over to Crucial and see what they suggest for your systems memory upgrade ... you may want to replace the 2x512s with whatever the max is they suggest, upto 4gig ... buying from them is a breeze. :)

:user:

SRF

Reaction score
Thanks been to Crucial their scan don't really recognise my PC they say it has 1 GB in 2x 512mb slots they say the max I can have is 2 GB but don't recommend any modules. Ray

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, ummm, bite the bullet time, need a 'new' PC ... 5 years is equivalent to 50 years in computer real-time ... however, you could probably pick up a "new" system for what you paid for the E-Machine ... well, maybe. :D

:user:

SRF

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, What do the experts think would be a good desk top for me. I have a laptop an Acer with 4GB and windows 7. I would like a comparable machine but a desk top. so that I can watch footy on my 26" monitor. I also have fibre optic BT infinity I am very impressed with their speed. Ray

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi SRF and welcome to PCR. :wave:

Be very careful, however, about mentioning anything illicit on this forum. We are very law abiding and do not condone anything that might be considered dodgy.

SRF

Reaction score
Just as I thought I am going to be out of my depth, I just had a look at an Acer Renovo 3610. With my limited experience can I assume that an atom drive is like a notebook, solid state. It doesn't have an external drive, would it be hard to connect one??? Sorry I know I am a Numpty.

Reaction score
Looks OK, but have you looked at www.novatech.co.uk
They offer good builds, service & support and will happily talk to you if you want extras.:thumb:

As for being a numpty, i'm sure your an expert at other things than pc's.
So no more numpty talk!:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, What do the experts think would be a good desk top for me. I have a laptop an Acer with 4GB and windows 7. I would like a comparable machine but a desk top. so that I can watch footy on my 26" monitor. I also have fibre optic BT infinity I am very impressed with their speed. Ray

Need to know your budget before recommending a machine. I would recommend staying away from Compaq; Dell; HP; Acer and most especially - Mesh. Avoid Mesh like the plague.

For a basic decent desktop just used for online stuff, office and photos, look to spend around £350 - 400 without peripherals.

SRF

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am looking for something sub £400 just a base unit 4GB 300 to 500 g hard drive Windows 7 I just want a bit of speed and storage capacity. If I avoid "Compaq; Dell; HP; Acer and most especially - Mesh." it doesn't leave much on the high street. I like the Novatech ones but I have never heard of them.

Reaction score
Welcome SRF.....you're in the right place. This is a great website with lots of helpful people.

Reaction score
SRF,

I think the question is about margins. If you make a marginal investment in the memory, you will get a marginal improvement in your computer. However, you are close to the margin of error as stated by others- 5 year old computers are outdated.

I bagged my old PC a little over a year ago and upgraded to Windows 7 and could not be more pleased with all the performance increases.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Stoneboysteve

Reaction score
I like the Novatech ones but I have never heard of them.
Big company, good pc's, service & support and great to own one, i have one!:thumb:
After owning a mesh having a novatech has been a dream.:dance:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Big company, good pc's, service & support and great to own one, i have one!:thumb:
After owning a mesh having a novatech has been a dream.:dance:
One of our computers is a Novatech too. It's now fast approaching its 5th birthday... still going strong though, and never a moment's trouble.

We have always found Novatech staff to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable too. :thumb:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the PC has been working 24/7 throughout its life.

Reaction score
Yes Novatech is a good company and their staff friendly, knowelagable, and helpfull. If I were going to purchase a PC they are the ones I would go to. BUT why not build one your self it is quite easy I am no techie infact a retired old git and if I can do it so can you and you can get all the advice from this site and there books like the Hynes DIY manuals who will show to do it. The value of the self build PC is cheaper than buying a built one better value for money from the stores, have a go you will be supprised how easy it is. Also the satisfaction of doing it your self.
Oh yes and welcome to PCR nice to have you along:D

Ask a Question