PlayStation VR

Review PlayStation VR

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new article:

PlayStation VR - How does the Playstation VR hold up against other VR headsets?

Virtual Reality (VR) is never out of the headlines for long, and it is often a subject viewed with scepticism by the general public. The options have been fairly limited for the most part – headsets such as the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift are expensive and require a high-spec PC making them unaffordable for most people. The only other option for consumers was something like the Samsung Gear VR, which uses a smartphone for the screen and processing power – as you would expect, products like the...

Read more about this article...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If anyone has any questions about this headset or VR in general, feel free to ask :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds very good. I'm still not sure I'm sold on the whole VR thing yet, but I can certainly see its appeal. :)

Question is, would you buy it? I'm not sure I could justify the price yet myself. But then I've not experienced it first hand.

Reaction score
If anyone has any questions about this headset or VR in general, feel free to ask :)

Hi Becky, I will be receiving my brand new PSVR tomorrow morning, ( I live in Lima, Peru), and I signed up to PC Review today ONLY because I want to thank you and tell you that your review is one of the best I've read yet. And I've read, and watched on YouTube a lot of reviews. Yours is so complete. I've even downloaded the photo of the cable setup which is a great map that'll help me tomorrow.

Keep it up and I'll be checking PC Review regularly. Cheers! Jorge

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Jorge :D, you'll have to let us know what you think of the PSVR - I hope you enjoy it!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Question is, would you buy it?

We did buy it - this review is completely impartial. We wanted to try it out, but with the assumption that if we didn't think it was worthwhile we would sell it on once we were done with it. However I don't think we'll be selling it :D

I can understand your hesitation - from memory you don't have a PS4 do you? We already had the PS4 and move controllers, so just had to buy the headset and camera. If you had to buy the full kit it would cost you nearly £700 - for just a bit more you could get the Vive. The Oculus Rift wouldn't be worth getting without the touch controllers IMO (not out until December) and they will cost £189 on top of the price of the headset. Ouch!

If you get a chance to try the PS VR then go for it :nod:

Hi Becky, I will be receiving my brand new PSVR tomorrow morning, ( I live in Lima, Peru), and I signed up to PC Review today ONLY because I want to thank you and tell you that your review is one of the best I've read yet. And I've read, and watched on YouTube a lot of reviews. Yours is so complete. I've even downloaded the photo of the cable setup which is a great map that'll help me tomorrow.

Keep it up and I'll be checking PC Review regularly. Cheers! Jorge

Thanks, Jorge! Welcome to the forum :)

I'm pleased you found the review useful. You must be really excited to get your PS VR - let us know what you think of it when you've got it! I seriously didn't think I'd be as taken with it as I am, it's a great bit of kit :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
We did buy it - this review is completely impartial. We wanted to try it out, but with the assumption that if we didn't think it was worthwhile we would sell it on once we were done with it. However I don't think we'll be selling it :D
Ah, fair enough then. No I don't have a PS4. Been tempted a few times but I can't see the value in one at the moment, I don't use the XB1 much as it is.

If I see a demo unit/thing in a shop I might have to give it a go though. :)

Reaction score
I have wide set eyes too (73mm). Did you have any trouble with focus? I can't seem to get a clear focus with both eyes at the same time despite trying a number or IPD settings.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear that! Once I had set up the IPD it was fine - it felt awful before though. I also had to move the screen backwards and forwards until I found the right position - it was out of focus otherwise. Do you wear contact lenses / glasses?

Reaction score
I don't wear glasses, though I'm slightly nearsighted (very low prescription of -0.5 in both eyes). I may try getting contacts again to see if that improves it. What I noticed was that moving my headset from side to side allowed me to find the sweet spot for each eye, but the lenses are too close to get both in focus at the same time. I'm afraid it's just a physical limitation of the lens spacing.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's a real shame, sorry to hear that. It might be worth speaking to an optician about whether glasses would make any difference - if so you could buy a pair of cheap glasses and give them a try? Like I said in the review, the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift both have pyhsical adjusters for IPD, so might be worth taking a look at those if the PS VR isn't going to work for you :(

Ask a Question