Playstation 3 Super Slim home made HDD cage :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I bought a Super Slim PS3 from Tesco's the other day as they were only £100. I bought it because there are some games out there I want to play that I never got a chance to as my old PS3 died :(.

The console only ships with 12gb flash memory for £100, which is pathetic as some games are well over the 20gb mark. Luckily I found a broken PS3 at work and took out the 320gb HDD so I thought I could install that to the Super Slim.

When I looked at where the HDD goes, I realised there was no HDD cage, so if I did install a drive it would just be held in by the connectors which is extremely dodgy.

So instead of forking out for a cage from Sony or who ever I thought I'd bodge my own, it took all of 2 minutes :D.

Heres the HDD with a Christmas card wedging it in:
20131228_124110.jpg

PC case backplate which will make the cage:
20131228_124146.jpg

After some mod's with some snips and brawn:
20131228_124236.jpg

Installed with an old CD drive screw:
20131228_125019.jpg

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Great use of extras there..how much was a new cage by the way!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting one of them as it happens, handy for the Bluray playback and the soon to be glutted market of old PS3 games, as I'm selling my Xbox 360.

Will they take any SATA drive? Surely not PATA (IDE)? and 2.5" or 3.5"?

And nice fabricated retaining bracket there sah :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting one of them as it happens, handy for the Bluray playback and the soon to be glutted market of old PS3 games, as I'm selling my Xbox 360.

Will they take any SATA drive? Surely not PATA (IDE)? and 2.5" or 3.5"?

And nice fabricated retaining bracket there sah :)

Any 2.5" sata drive, some high rollers stick in a ssd but i aint richie rich so a free 2.5" will do me.

Ps plus gives you loads of freebies aswell so is worth the subscription. I had to buy to be able to play ps4 onlline.

Ask a Question