Sony Playstation 3 PSN/Date Bug

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh dear!

Sony has told owners of older models of its PlayStation 3 console to stop using the machine because of a problem with the PlayStation Network. The problem is affecting people using the older versions of the PlayStation 3, called the "Fat" model.

The problem isn't affecting the newer PS3 Slim systems that have been on sale since September last year.

Sony have also said they are aiming to have the problem fixed shortly but is advising some users to avoid using their console for the time being.

"We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours," a statement reads. "In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10050000/newsid_10058900/10058914.stm

http://twitter.com/SonyPlaystation

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3. We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

• The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
  • When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following

message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been

signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
  • When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears

on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install

trophies. Please exit your game.”
  • When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the

Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date

and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
  • Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the

PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please continue to check either the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/latest-info-on-playstation-network-status/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not good is it! :(

I got a text this morning asking if my PS3 was also acting up, so it must have been going on for some time. This also messes up any online play for games like MW2.

It's such a shame, as my PS3 has been great so far - I much prefer it over the xbox... mainly due to the browser feature. :)

Reaction score
Luckily i have a slim model thank god. And mentioning God, make sure you get the god of war demo.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Forgot to post earlier, but this issue 'fixed itself' when the clock hit midnight earlier. Bit of bad press for Sony non the less.

Now the have 4 years til the next leap year to fix it! :D

Ask a Question