Pivot Table and Pivot Table Reports

G

I am self taught on most spreasheets and I know enough to do nice things. I want to get more knowledgable about pivot tables. There are numerous web sites that offer free instruction however, right now this is not the problem. I am using office 2000 Excel 2000 on Windows XP. I haven't had a problem til now. Previously my OS was Windows 98 2E and I did not use the Pivot Table function so I don't know if the problem existed before or not. I do know that on my data pull down menu "Pivot Table and Pivot Table Reports" show in black. I can click on it but I consistantly get the fatal message "Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The message goes on to explain that if you were working on something data may be lost etc etc. It also asks if I want to send a message Microsoft or not. It has happened so many times I have clicked send and don't send. I've uninstalled office and reinstalled office with the same results. The pivot table worked once, believe it or not. I was writing a message to a tech support location and forgot the message I was getting so I clicked the pivot table button and low and behold it worked. That was the only time. As many times as I have clicked I get the same message and excel shuts down. Can anyone help me. Are there setting buttons that need to be reset or set as the case may be. I am at a loss. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Numberjock

D

Dave Peterson

Just a guess:

Help|Detect and repair
(but that doesn't sound good--since you've reinstalled.)

But maybe completely removing and then reinstalling will help:

OFF2000: Utility to Completely Remove Remaining Office CD1 Files and
Registry Entries
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239938

D

Dave Peterson

I don't use winXP, but I read this warning differently:

The Office 2000 File and Registry Eraser Utility has not been tested with
Microsoft Windows XP.

If I couldn't get anything else to work (and felt adventurous), I think I'd
start RegEdit and backup my registry first.

If I destroyed anything, I could restore that backup of the registry.

But if you're uncomfortable with any of this, I'd say don't do it.

And if you're slightly adventurous, but mostly cautious, back up every important
file you have and make sure you have the distribution disks for all your
software!

This is a decision that I'm glad I don't have to make for you. (But if you try
it and it works, I'm taking credit <vbg>.)

G

George Nicholson

Dave:

In the OP's defense the KB article you directed him to states:

"The utility is disabled when Microsoft Windows XP is installed."

That sounds a bit more emphatic than "it hasn't been tested under Windows
XP". :)

D

Dave Peterson

I missed that portion completely (over and over again!).

Thanks for the correction and sorry to the OP.

Ask a Question