Pinhole Camera on a remote control plane

Reaction score
Hellooo, thought you would all like to hear about my dad and i's project. I couldn't decide whether this was OT or Digital Imaging, so i just put it in here.

Basically my dads mate/mates dad (lol) is a camera engineer, and knows his stuff. He's also into remote control aircraft. My dad helped him assemble some dummy kodak standalone printer things, and he got his own RC plane out of it.

This guy, being into cameras, put a 2.4GHz wireless pinhole camera on it, and the results were awesome. So i looked on eBay and bought one similar (different frequency though i better not say what it is...)

My dad and i are going to put this camera into his plane, and make some films with it. This is turning into a rather expensive project thought, as the camera was £25, and i will have to buy a portable power station with internal 100w invertor with 3 pin mains plug so that i can plug my VCR into that, and the reciever into the VCR...

It dosen't end there. I also need a 5v DCDC inverter so that the camera/transmitter can be powered from the battery that also powers the motor, not a PP3 (9v) battery, that may be too heavy and alter the CofG in the aircraft.

So this is EASILY costing £80 at least, of which i have to pay all of it (and im meant to be buying a car very soon)

What y'all think?

Reaction score
Re: Pinhole Camera Project

I have done exactally that!

i got a pinhole camera (colour) from ebay for £18, My brothers RC plane (proper, expensive one)

And as you said, the results were amazing!

But, i did it cheep! - Laptops have there uses here... Get a laptop with a video in (Pinnacle PCTV USB2) and plug it all together!

I do not still have the vid i made.

But, it is well worth it! - Give it a go Chris!

KGB

Reaction score

Why have you not said the frequency? - For some reason, mine does not say what it is!

Reaction score

I did think "Now how handy would a Laptop be here!!" But oh well, i dont have one, so thats that.

I got the more expensive one that has audio, free shipping and an aparently larger range.

Whats the range on yours like? also which frequency is it?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 31_1_b.jpg
    31_1_b.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 835
Reaction score

I'm a bit concerned as to the legality of 1.2GHz camera systems, but you can buy these on eBay still... oh well.

Reaction score

The range on mine says 100M, but it is about 80!

I cannot find the frequency! - It does not say on the camera or receiver!

My camera is the same size as yours, but it does not have the wires comming out of the bottom like that! - What are they for? i thought the camera was wireless.

KGB

Reaction score

i didn't get it either, but it is wireless, so we'll see!

100 metres...thats a good 250 feet. Not bad i guess, and it will be more in an open field with no trees or buildings, so cool.

Does yours only have composite out or does it have RF too?

Reaction score

Ordered it yesterday, so it should arrive within 10 days. Im just hoping before christmas! You never know with this type of thing, it says item location: United Kingdom, but you do kind of get the feeling it's being shipped from Hong Kong with that amount of time.

I think mines Composite and RCA Audio output - straight into front of VCR...

The range is 1000 feet advertised (Line of sight) , but dads mate reckons 60 foot as the frequency tends to drift, aparently.

How did the RC plane take the weight of a PP3 battery? Significant handling changes?

Reaction score

I think the people added an extra '0' on the range!

Nothing notisable differant with the plane, perfect handleing!
But, it depends what power of plane you have, how big it is etc...

KGB

Reaction score

Hobbyzone Firebird Commander (Single engine, massive climb rate)!!

Similar to yours?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Chris, you could probably get away with a 5 volt regulator instead of an invertor. They cost about £1.50. Connect the 0V leg (common) to the (-) of the battery, the input leg to the (+) side of the battery, and the output leg (+5V) to the camera. Oh, and also the (-) side of the battery to the 0V of the camera.

Reaction score

could you do this with the output on the side of the RC plane? This sounds like a better (cheaper) option as the inverters look a bit pricey for what they are!!

And this wouldn't mean butchering the camera would it? I want to be able to use the PP3 function when its not on the plane...

Chris

Reaction score

christopherpostill said:
Hobbyzone Firebird Commander (Single engine, massive climb rate)!!

Similar to yours?
My brothers is a P51D Mustang, I have a Pico Cub (see below)

mat_picocub_flyoverright.JPG

They were both kit builds, (buy all parts, engine, speedo', Servo's)

What was yours, or was it straight out of the box?

KGB

Reaction score

Oh, mine also has reinforced carbon wings to enable it to do look-the-loop's without the wings getting stress damage!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Chris: Either use crocodile clips or buy some loose PP3 connectors and use those. You'll have to solder the wires to the regulator 'legs'.

Reaction score

Reply:

The use of a linear regulator does not work either....same problem....7V dropout voltage. The same bloke that tried running directly from the battery (Challenger rather than Commander but same battery-pack and electronics) also tried removing the cameras regulator and using an LM7805 linear.....result...lots of noise as soon as the motor is turned on. Trust me, a DC to DC converter is the way to go......tried and tested......

Reaction score

My dads was straight from the box, look it up, its a fine vehicle of the skies.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

About the regulator idea...... oh well, it was an idea... :( Just trying to save you money (and weight) but looks as though somebody's already been down that path.

Reaction score

Was a good idea flops. Thanks :)

Look what Dad and I just went half on, to power my VCR and to keep in the car...

PS800I Portable Power Station[size=-1]
12-volt system using a sealed lead acid battery, which develops enough power to start up to a 6-cylinder diesel engine with a flat battery.

From its twin 12-volt cigarette lighter sockets you can power lights, mobile phones, portable TVs and anything that requires 12 volts DC.

This unit also features a 240-volt AC 3 pin plug outlet to power any mains equipment up to 100 watts. This can be used to recharge power tools and bait boats. However it cannot be used for mains fluorescent or neon lamps.

You can charge it from the mains, the car whilst you are driving, or from your boat if it has a cigarette light output

It weighs 8.5 Kg and is 279mm high x 318mm wide x 134mm deep
[/size]
NEWPS800I.jpg

Ask a Question