ping gone

Charles Cashion

I have lost my ping.
It was lost when I ran Microsoft RegClean.exe
on Windows XP Home Ed

(yes I have been informed -> foolish act)

After running regclean.exe...
I observed that ping no longer works
I observed that ftp no longer works
(I should have run RESTORE, but didn't)
I could NOT run RESTORE later, because my computer only
saves the most recent restore point.

I purchased Windows XP Home Ed Upgrade
I used my newly purchased CD to re-install Windows XP

The following evening, as I was shutting down, Windows
delayed the shut-down and installed 33 updates.

I observed that ping 127.0.0.1 now worked
I observed that ping 192.168.1.100 now worked (thats me)
I observed that ping 192.168.1.1 now worked (my router)
I observed that ping comcast.net now worked (my ISP)
I went to bed happy

When I awoke this morning...
I observed that ping 127.0.0.1 worked
I observed that ping 192.168.1.100 worked
I observed that ping 192.168.1.1 DID NOT WORK
I observed that ping comcast.net DID NOT WORK

My guess is:
ping depends upon something (perhaps *.dll) that the
re-install did not fully replace. If this is a good guess,
how can I pin-point what it is that is corrupt?

I am running Webroot SpySweeper and it is up-to-date.
I am running Trend PC-cillin and it is up-to-date.

Tnx,
Charles

Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 & 33 more updates
Intel Pentium Mobile 4-M Processor running 1.8GHz
HD 9.76GB Total 5.18GB Used 4.58GB Free
Memory 256MB

Yves Leclerc

[...]

Check the SP2 firewall. This can block "ping!"

Charles Cashion

On 08/02/2006 Charles Cashion <[email protected] wrote:
cc>
cc> I have lost my ping.
cc>
cc> I am running Webroot SpySweeper and it is up-to-date.
cc> I am running Trend PC-cillin and it is up-to-date.

Yves Leclerc suggested:
YL
YL> Check the SP2 firewall. This can block "ping!"
YL> Y.

Found it!
Webroot SpySweeper is OK.
Microsoft Firewall is OK.
Trend PC-cillin blocks ping!
Tnx,
-cc

Charles Cashion

Opinicus said:
Can it also cause problems with FTP?

Opinicus...

I just checked.
I have Windows Firewall active and running.
I have Trend PC-cillin active and running.
I have Webroot SpySweeper active and running.
With all three active and running,
FTP runs fine.

Thanks for asking, I am glad I now know.
Charles