[Pimmy] Geminisoft Pimmy 3.5 - final release

Angelo Donatiello

Hello everybody,

we proudly announce final release of Pimmy 3.5 available right now at
www.geminisoft.com

Once again we would like to thank all people who helped us with
suggestions, tests and a lot of patience to develop this version, in
particular our beta testers.

These are the differences from last beta 8:

- Warning (in the preview) about messages that require a "read receipt"
- Nntp: XOVER from field was not MIME decoded
- Some fixes on communication with servers
- Some minor fixes

Who did not follow all betas may found a summary of main features at the
bottom of this message. The complete list is available online and in Pimmy
help file.

TRANSLATION: we will start a translation program as soon as possibile; we
will contact people who offered their help in a few days.

Thanks agan and good luck to everyone.

-angelo & antonio-
www.geminisoft.com

== Main new features ==

- Tree view to group thread of newsgroups, mailing lists and ordinary mail.
- International character encoding support (charset).
- External language file.
- Message-ID automatic creation ad customization.
- Player capable to play MP3 and all DirectX audio and video formats with
playlist and tracks repeat.
- Mailboxes sorting is remembered even when windows are closed.
- Automatic completion for sender and recipients.
- Message text find.
- Draft folder.
- Mail reading receipt.
- SOCKS5 proxy server support.
- Chat service removed.
- New look for almost all icons and buttons.

====

Blinky the Shark

Angelo said:
we proudly announce final release of Pimmy 3.5 available right now at
www.geminisoft.com

So, what's the origin of the name "Pimmy". I suspect one reason I never
tried it was because it sounds like "Buffy" or "Sally Jo" "Ashley" or
such. I'm not making fun of it; that's just my own perception of the
name, and I've always wondered where it came from.

benny

Angelo Donatiello said:
we proudly announce final release of Pimmy 3.5 available right now at

I downloaded the English version (ZIP archive) and got the Italian
programme, an English Help file and something which looks like the
English language file for the programme, but saw no instructions on
how to turn the Italian into the English version.

Also, does it do pop3 before smtp authentication? It's essential for
me, a number of e-mail services require this.

benny

Angelo Donatiello

benny said:
I downloaded the English version (ZIP archive) and got the Italian
programme, an English Help file and something which looks like the
English language file for the programme, but saw no instructions on
how to turn the Italian into the English version.

Maybe when you run the program the first time you didn't have the language
file. This is not clearly explained in the instructions, sorry.

Now you have italian menus and windows so please do the following to turn
it in english:

- copy "Pimmy.Language.English.txt" to Pimmy main folder
- run Pimmy
- click "Strumenti / Opzioni" menu
- click last tab "Avanzate"
- on the bottom check "Lingua 1"
- click "..." button, select "English" and click OK
- click OK to close the window
- an italian message will ask you to restart Pimmy, click YES
- Pimmy restarts in English
Also, does it do pop3 before smtp authentication? It's essential for
me, a number of e-mail services require this.

No, it does not.

Bye,

Angelo Donatiello

Blinky the Shark said:
Actually, I thought of that when I first saw it. But I didn't figure
that was the origin, since I didn't think is was a PIM.

Well, originally it should have included a mailreader, a diary, a note, a
calculator, and so on... Maybe in the future the name will reflect better
the features.

/betty/

It comes from "PIM" (Personal Information Manager). Simple, isn't it? :)

FYI Angelo; Threading of followups generated by your program, as
retrieved from Giganews' servers, is still very broken.

Notes:

1. This issue is unique to F-up articles from Pimmy alone [Note: F-up
posts from *all other clientware threads OK*] and has continued
throughout all versions you have released to date -- since you recently
intro'd the threading function.

2. The discrepancy shows up in any and every newsclient that I've tried.

NOTE: As I said above this issue applies to articles retreived from
*Giganews*, users of other NSPs will most likely *not* see it.

Angelo Donatiello

benny said:
[pop3 before smtp]
That's a pity, as I like the programme but really need that feature.
Will you implement it in the near future?

It's not in out middle-term plans. I can suggest you should check your
mailbox (F5) before sending messages (CTRL+I) from the main window. If you
don't send messages immediately (CTRL+U) but use "Outgoing mail folder",
this could be quite easy.

Bye,

Angelo Donatiello

/betty/ said:
FYI Angelo; Threading of followups generated by your program, as
retrieved from Giganews' servers, is still very broken.

Thanks, I should contact Giganews to understand better this problem.

Bye,