Picasa photo management software

Richard Steven Hack

installed the initial setting of which folder and drives to scan for
photo is a little confusing but at least the scanning is very fast.

Yes, that's my immediate problem. I THOUGHT I told it to scan just
one small directory but it's now scanning my ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY
THOUSAND IMAGE FILES!

And there's no STOP button!

Oh, well.

Mark

Chris Dubea blurted on 16 Jul 2004 11:43:03 -0700:

On the uk Google page it says Free:
http://www.google.co.uk/

On the page I got my copy from (before I saw that stuff about "trial
version" etc.) it says *Free DOWNLOAD* [my emphasis].
See <http://www.picasa.com/google/>
I've seen that sort of scam before -- it's true you aren't charged to
download the program, hence "free"; but you are charged to continue
using it beyond a trial period.

Not saying this will happen with Picasa -- and I guess it's even
possible that the FAQ under "Installation" is a hang-over from the
previous owner's text that hasn't been edited out yet. (It's still
referenced as Copyrite 2004 Picasa, Inc. for example.)
[See <http://www.picasa.com/google/support_index.php?>
and scroll to bottom.]

While on that page, also notice the link to "Ordering Prints".
My first suspicion (before finding that "trial version") was that this
commercial activity was what it is all about -- the old Gillette
approach to marketing.

Anyway, I think I've pretty much lost interest in this program. Seems
that even when you actually paid for it pre-Google, it still spammed
left right and centre when you used it to send stuff to others. And I
sense some dissatisfaction expressed around here with its technical
capabilities too.

Cheers, Phred.

What about this?

Q. What is the difference between the trial, paid, and free versions
of Picasa?

A. In the past, we offered a 15 day free trial of Picasa. This version
had all the functionality of the paid version, but it would only
function for 15 days.

Picasa is now free. Essentially, we have replaced the trial version
with the free full version. The free versions includes all the
features of the former trial and paid versions

[...]

Phred

(e-mail address removed) (Phred) wrote in message
Chris Dubea blurted on 16 Jul 2004 11:43:03 -0700:

Interesting. No other mention of this is to be found anywhere on the
site. Also conspicuous by it's absence is a means to purchase the
full version.

I guess we will just have to wait and see. I hope it's a feebie
because I was looking for something like this to casually manage all
the gfx files on my laptop.

[...]

Who is "we". (And sorry to see that you stutter.)

Cheers, Phred.

Richard Steven Hack

Yes, that's my immediate problem. I THOUGHT I told it to scan just
one small directory but it's now scanning my ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY
THOUSAND IMAGE FILES!

And there's no STOP button!

Oh, well.

Ah, well, it ended up "stopping" on its own when my 180,000+ images
overwhelmed it!

So I uninstalled it and drop-kicked it.

Since I don't email images or send out for prints (that's what I have
an Epson C60 inkjet for) and don't have a digital camera, there's
nothing here that Irfanview doesn't already do for me.