Photoshop CS3 usurped Preview function


B

Barry_M

I run Windows XP Professional, and have image file types associated with
Microsoft Photo Editor. Until recently when I installed Photoshop CS3,
right-clicking on an image file and selecting Preview opened Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer. Now, however, previewing a .bmp file opens Photoshop CS3,
although .jpg and .gif files still preview in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
How can I restore the default Preview function for .bmp files, please?
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Inzer

Barry_M said:
I run Windows XP Professional, and have image file types associated
with Microsoft Photo Editor. Until recently when I installed
Photoshop CS3, right-clicking on an image file and selecting Preview
opened Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Now, however, previewing a
.bmp file opens Photoshop CS3, although .jpg and .gif files still
preview in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. How can I restore the
default Preview function for .bmp files, please?
=================================
Right click a .bmp file...choose Properties /
General tab / Change button...from the list...
select...Windows Picture and Fax Viewer...
OK / Apply / OK.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 
B

Barry_M

Thank you John, but I do not wish to change the file asscociation from Photo
Editor to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I simply wish to restore the
default Preview application from Photoshop CS3 back to Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer.
 
J

John Inzer

Barry_M said:
Thank you John, but I do not wish to change the file asscociation
from Photo Editor to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I simply wish to
restore the default Preview application from Photoshop CS3 back to
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
====================================
I think you may have file association for viewing
and default image editor confused. My instructions
change the file association for viewing .bmp files
as you requested.

The following registry edit changes the default
image editor.

Change the default image editor application,
invoked from Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

More info on file associations:

(307859) HOW TO: Change File Associations
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307859

More info:

Try this...open an image folder and right click one
of your image files...from the menu, select...Open
With / Choose Program.

Make your choice from the list or Browse to the
correct program if it is not in the list.

If you want the default...choose..."Windows
Picture and Fax viewer"

Once you make your selection...be sure to check
the box that says: "Always use the selected program
to open this kind of file". (you will need to do this
for each format....jpg, .tif, .gif...etc.)

Also...you can right click an image and choose
Properties / Change Button...choose the program
you wish to use and click...OK / Apply / OK.

Also...in WinXP, you can go to...My Computer /
Tools / Folder Options / File Types tab...

And the following link may be useful:

Repair image file type associations in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 
B

Barry_M

Yes, no doubt I am confused, but I did not request help with changing file
associations, nor did I mention "default image editor".

Let me attempt again to explain my problem. One of the tasks I performed
after installing Windows XP Professional was to associate all image file
types with Microsoft Photo Editor, so that when I double-click any image
file, including a .bmp file, then the image will open in Photo Editor. That
remains the case and I do not wish to change it. I do not wish to change any
file associations.

The default Preview application, on the other hand, is Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer. Thus, after installing the operating system and before altering
any settings, if I right-click on any image file and select Preview, then the
image is displayed in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

My problem is this: since I installed Photoshop CS3 the Preview application
for one file type, .bmp, has been usurped by Photoshop CS3, i.e. when I
right-click on a .bmp file and select Preview, then Photoshop CS3 launches
with the image opened. This is not what I want. I wish to restore the status
quo, so that I can Preview .bmp files in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Perhaps a registry key has become corrupted?
 
J

John Inzer

Barry_M said:
Yes, no doubt I am confused, but I did not request help with changing
file associations, nor did I mention "default image editor".

Let me attempt again to explain my problem. One of the tasks I
performed after installing Windows XP Professional was to associate
all image file types with Microsoft Photo Editor, so that when I
double-click any image file, including a .bmp file, then the image
will open in Photo Editor. That remains the case and I do not wish to
change it. I do not wish to change any file associations.

The default Preview application, on the other hand, is Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer. Thus, after installing the operating system
and before altering any settings, if I right-click on any image file
and select Preview, then the image is displayed in Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer.

My problem is this: since I installed Photoshop CS3 the Preview
application for one file type, .bmp, has been usurped by Photoshop
CS3, i.e. when I right-click on a .bmp file and select Preview, then
Photoshop CS3 launches with the image opened. This is not what I
want. I wish to restore the status quo, so that I can Preview .bmp
files in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Perhaps a registry key has become corrupted?
=======================================
I only offer the following as a suggestion...

Maybe you can find an option to correct
this issue at the following location...some
experimentation may be required....

Good luck.....

Go to...Start / Run and Type:
control folders
press...enter.

On the Folder Options screen...
Choose...File Types tab.

Scroll down to and select BMP...maybe left
clicking the Restore button will be worth a try.
After clicking the Restore button it should
change to Advanced...

Left click Advanced and you will have
options to change...the edit, open and
printto associations.

For example...if you left click Open you can
enter the following path that opens Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer:

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

Maybe if you compare the entries for your
other file types to the entries for BMP you
can discover what is causing the problem.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Barry_M

Thanks, John, you put me on the right track, there. I had not come across the
Folder Options dialog before. As you recommended, the following sequence
"Start -> Run -> control folders -> File Types -> BMP -> Advanced" opened
the Edit File Type dialog, which listed four actions: edit, open, print (none
of which I wished to alter) and Preview. I selected Preview and clicked the
Edit button. This opened the 'Editing action for type:' dialog, which
contains a field titled 'Application used to perform action:'. This contained
a file path to Photoshop. I then did some research on the Internet to find
the following string: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1, with which I
replaced the Photoshop file path, Clicked OK, OK, Close, and the preview
function for .bmp files was restored to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. The
process also changed the file association for .bmp files to Photoshop CS3,
but I was easily able to change it back to Photo Editor in the usual manner,
i.e. right click -> Properties -> Change etc. Problem solved - I can now
preview my .bmp files.
The file icon for .bmp files is still the Photoshop CS3 icon, but I can live
with that.
 
J

John Inzer

Barry_M said:
Thanks, John, you put me on the right track, there. I had not come
across the Folder Options dialog before. As you recommended, the
following sequence "Start -> Run -> control folders -> File Types ->
BMP -> Advanced" opened the Edit File Type dialog, which listed four
actions: edit, open, print (none of which I wished to alter) and
Preview. I selected Preview and clicked the Edit button. This opened
the 'Editing action for type:' dialog, which contains a field titled
'Application used to perform action:'. This contained a file path to
Photoshop. I then did some research on the Internet to find the
following string: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1, with which I
replaced the Photoshop file path, Clicked OK, OK, Close, and the
preview function for .bmp files was restored to Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer. The process also changed the file association for .bmp
files to Photoshop CS3, but I was easily able to change it back to
Photo Editor in the usual manner, i.e. right click -> Properties ->
Change etc. Problem solved - I can now preview my .bmp files.
The file icon for .bmp files is still the Photoshop CS3 icon, but I
can live with that.
===============================
I'm glad you found an acceptable solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 
B

Barry_M

Thanks, Michael. It is perfect now.

Michael J. Mahon said:
The same File Types path you went down also has a "Change Icon" button
that will allow you to change the icon associated with the files.



--

-michael

NadaPong: Network game demo for Apple II computers!
Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."
 
Ad

Advertisements

Ø

شكراً لك اخي بصراحه أنا من ا

شكراً لك اخي بصراحه أنا من المعجبين بك وأتمنى لك التوÙيق
أخوك من المملكة العربية السعوديه
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top