Photo Printing Wizard - very slow

G

Hi all

I hope the combined knowledge of this forum could shed some light on a problem with the Photo Printing Wizard on my Nan's PC

In short, its very slow. When pressing the Print button from within the Picture and Fax viewer, the wizard loads up after about 30 seconds, and it takes longer for each step of the wizard to display. The worst step being where the print layout is chosen, where it can take up to 2 minutes to get what we want; when we scroll down the list of layout options it stalls, thinks for a bit, then displays. It'll takes about 20 seconds to register that I've clicked on a layout and a further 30 to respond to clicking the Next button; and so on. All in all, it can take about 5 minutes before its ready to send the info to the printer

Not entirely sure whats caused this, it just started behaving like this pretty much overnight. I wondered if it was a side effect of Hotfix? I've since disabled the automatic Windows Update as it seems to download and install lots of fixes, not all of them relevant to Nan's PC. Future updates will be done manually

Any other application prints normally, it just seems to be the Photo Printing Wizard; a shame as its nice and simple bit of software which my nan finds very easy to use. The PC has behaved like this with both a Canon S200 and Epson C64xx printer.

She's running XP Home with Service Pack 1 at the moment, PC is a 1.7GHx Celeron with 128Mb RAM (although for some odd reason, when viewing Control Panel > System, the General tab only shows 96Mb RAM).

Any help is very much appreciated, and hopefully it'll end a frustrating problem

Regards
Be

PS: Yes I did say my Nan's PC. With a bit of my help to start her off, my 70 year old grandmother is happily browsing the Internet, communicating with family abroad and enjoying digital photography - just not the printing bit! :blush:)

G

How many bytes of free space are left on the hard drive?

128 Mb memory is cutting it real bad for using XP and all the goodies + application
You might want to look at purchasing more memory for your Nan's machine

First, I’d ask your Nan where she put that missing 32Mb RAM

Also, have Nan send me some of her home baked chocolate chip cookies.
She bakes the best this side of the Mississippi

G

----- Might need more mem wrote: ----
How many bytes of free space are left on the hard drive?

Its a 40GB hard drive, and its 90% empty so plenty of space. I have set the virtual memory/paging file to system controlled, maybe I could tinker with that as well
128 Mb memory is cutting it real bad for using XP and all the goodies + application
You might want to look at purchasing more memory for your Nan's machine

Sounds like a plan...
The thing that confuses me is that the Wizard started behaving all peculiar pretty much overnight, I know not to expect lightning speed from a machine with only 128Mb RAM, but its beyond silly at the moment
First, I’d ask your Nan where she put that missing 32Mb RAM

I'd like to know whats happened to that as well, really odd.
Also, have Nan send me some of her home baked chocolate chip cookies.
She bakes the best this side of the Mississippi

LOL! I don't know about cookies but she sure does bake some pretty fine cakes.

Thanks
Ben

Ask a Question