Phones

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a mobile phone bought from the states will work back in europe. Ireland or UK in particular.
I was looking at i-phones in dublin that cost 615 euro and are only 199 dollars int states.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Does anyone know if a mobile phone bought from the states will work back in europe. Ireland or UK in particular.
I was looking at i-phones in dublin that cost 615 euro and are only 199 dollars int states.

Zzzzz

Can you not get it as a free phone on contract in Ireland..?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If its quad band then yes it will work here in europe..Same as the quad band phones from here work in the USA..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Can you not get it as a free phone on contract in Ireland..?

I wasnt looking for a contract so i didnt ask. I was looking for a ready to go job. I'll look into it int morning.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
Never read that link mate sorry but I have to say the N97 is out!

Well here it is!!

A colleague of mine has one and using it the other day in front of me.

Waste of money rife with problems much like the the N96

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The phones in states are cheaper when you sign a contract with the service provider otherwise they are expensive. What you need is an unlocked phone which literally will work anywhere in the world, of course it has to be a quad band.

As for the top ten phones list is concerned, PC World had 3 or 4 from Rim Blackberry in their list.

I use a Blackberry too which I bought in March and not going back to anything else. It is not just a phone, its like having a laptop in your pocket. I had opted for the RIM 8120 Pearl but within 24 hours I returned it for the Pearl Flip. The reason being the keys which I found to be too small and awkward to use for my hands. The flip has larger keys and also a larger display. The outer display is the best I have used in any phone, not just good looking but very practical.

I went through 4 Motorola Razr's since they were introduced before going for the Blackberry Flip, maybe that had to do something with my choice of the clamshell Blackberry.

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a reliable site that sells unlocked phones that will work anywhere?

Reaction score
captain zed said:

Zzzzz

A quickupdate for you here about iPhones...

If you buy an iphone in the US of A and bring it over to the Uk or Ireland, you can use any sim card you like in it, but there is a slite problem. You will have nothing but an expensive phone that all you can do is make calls on. To use an iPhone and retain all the features it has it has to be on O2.

I had a chat with the local O2 shop and was informed that iPhones will only work over here on O2 if you have them unlocked an use say T-Mobile you will loos most of what the phone can do as it relies on O" for these features.
I also asked in the Apple Shop and was given the same answer. Apple also said having iPhones unlocked is a bit of a scam, beacause everytime you connect your iPhone to your PC/Mac the software for the phone is updated and the phone will become locked again.
Sounds alll a bit confusing I know, but I sort of get what they are saying...

Reaction score
What they are saying is that they have a good bit of kit, but they've managed to manipulate the market so that it's ridiculously expensive because they're money grabbing b*stards!! Same with having to use Itunes for Ipods!!

Reaction score
bodhi said:
What they are saying is that they have a good bit of kit, but they've managed to manipulate the market so that it's ridiculously expensive because they're money grabbing b*stards!! Same with having to use Itunes for Ipods!!

Yeah something like that...Basically in the UK if you don't use O2, all you have is an expensive phone that you can callon and send text.And thats it..
Ermas for iPod you don't have to use iTunes. Winamp does the trick and there are a few other bits of software that you can use...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Banshee is reputed to work with iTunes very well.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7150747782.html

happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Abarb. Please stop preaching Linux, its getting old......

Great, you like, congrats.

Ask a Question