Petrol Strike

Reaction score
So the Unite Union has got the required % to call a strike.
Looks like the strike over deliveries will be on the Easter Weekend.
How long before we see panic buying & forecourts running dry?
Will it effect you & how you get to work if it does?

Reaction score
If you can afford a tank of petrol:mad:and my wife is working 20 miles away in Ashford that weekend.

Reaction score
A shade under 1.40 here now for petrol. I don't fill up simply because of pennies and weight and petrol cost ratio.

I only use my car to get my son at weekends and maybe a few miles in between. If it continues too rise I don't get to see my son. 2x two return trips each 45ish each way. Just short of 180mile every weekend to see a smile and hear the words daddy. Worth every penny!

Something needs to be done however

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just paid £1.449 per litre for diesel. :(

Don't think there will be much sympathy fot the drivers. I read that they are on £45,000 a year before any overtime.

The country being held to ransom by higher rate taxpayers? The public won't stand for it. :mad:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The ridiculously high price of fuel is to blame here, yes the drivers are wrong to vote for strike action but at the end of the day are just trying to protect there own way of life..

The government MP's are quick to diss any action and described the
vote as very disappointing news for hard-working families and
businesses...but shed no tears over the COST of fuel to these same families and businesses.

Yet the fatcats and cityworkers carry on getting bonuses worth tens of thousands a year and no one bats an eyelid, but the average blue collar worker stands up for what he believes in and gets bandied around like a criminal, yes they are on good wages but its also health and safety on these tankers that is being overlooked..
Anyone who's driven a HGV for a living will know the hard work and long hours put in to earn a crust, my father drove HGV's all his life and regularly worked 16 hour days and was away from home half the time due to all the hours and long driving trips up and down the country.

This is just a smokescreen to take the heat off the government over the stupid price of fuel at this time hitting £1.40 a litre, when we all know that 70% of that is tax and shouldn't be there!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Just paid £1.449 per litre for diesel. :(

Don't think there will be much sympathy fot the drivers. I read that they are on £45,000 a year before any overtime.

The country being held to ransom by higher rate taxpayers? The public won't stand for it. :mad:

I think the strikes are over work conditions and safety, not salaries...

A statement from Unite said: "Tanker drivers work in an increasingly fragmented and pressurised industry, where corners are being cut on safety and training in a bid to squeeze profits and win contracts.

"Drivers face growing job insecurity as a result of the contract 'merry-go-round' and a 'beat the clock' culture has flourished, with drivers forced to meet ever shorter delivery deadlines. "

Diana Holland from the Unite union warns of "an industry that is in chaos"

It added that pensions were also inferior to those previously offered and some workers had switched pensions six times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17512729

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Now we would not be in this state if Maggie and her good old Tory chums had not sold of all of our North Sea Oil.

Of course when toll roads are introduced you will not need to worry about fuel prices. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wot Crazylegs said :thumb:

Myself, I couldn't give a monkeys cos I ain't had a car since early January :D

But, but.... I do hire a car occasionally. Bugger.

Reaction score
on the way home from friends local petrol station had not had it's daily delivery.
but locals took this to be that the fuel was running out & people were panic buying.
hence the nearest bp had long queues from people who thought their were shortages.
in the next town they could not work out what was wrong.
seems the fuel deliveries are being upped as people will panic buy = more profit.
so the threat of a strike just sells more fuel & more tax for the taxman.

no winners in this apart from the fuel companies & the tax man!

Reaction score
Due to panic buying:
A poll by RMI Petrol, representing independent retailers, recorded petrol sales up 81% and diesel up 43% on Wednesday.

Rises of 45% for petrol and 20% for diesel had been reported on Tuesday amid talk of a strike.

So more tax for the taxman!

Data from the bbc.

Reaction score
To me it seems as though the delivery companies are trying to cut the tanker drivers wages any way they can. And one way is to fragment the industry so the drivers chase around for jobs and cutting the price they charge to deliver a tanker load. What do you bet that sooner or later Eastern European drivers turn up and under cut even more? In this country now all that the unions have fought for over the years is being under mined slowly,slowly. And it`s just what the Tories and employers love-------cheap labour.
historian

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Stupidity knows no bounds......

I have absolutely no sympathy for this silly cow, how stupid do you need to be!?

A woman suffered serious burns when petrol ignited as she was decanting it in the kitchen of her York home because her daughter had run out of fuel.

The woman, who is in her 40s, suffered 40% burns in the accident in the Acomb area of the city on Thursday evening.

She has been taken to the burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.

A fire service spokesman said: "Her daughter asked her mum for petrol because she had run out. The cooker was on and the fumes ignited."

The woman was treated by ambulance personnel in her kitchen before being taken to Pinderfields.

Her condition is not known but a North Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman described the burns as severe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17560534

Reaction score
Sadly some people have no idea how dangerous fuel & fumes are.
Doing it inside & in a kitchen was & is so stupid.
Lets hope the woman gets the care & help that she needs to recover.

Union states strikes off over Easter, but still panic buying at the pumps!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Re: Kitchen shenanigans:

A lack of knowledge and understanding can be a dangerous thing. 40% burns ain't funny, regardless of IQ. Did the victim possess malice? Was she trying to be helpful?

I for one hope she makes a recovery and carries on living a normal life.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Fair enough, burns aint good.

But, Why the **** was she storing petrol in some random container?
Why was she decanting it into a glass jug!?
and most importantly, why was she hoarding it in the first place!?

Station manager Lee Smith, whose Acomb crew attended the fire, said: "The people were cooking their tea and dispensing petrol from a container to a glass jug.

"The vapour then ignited, the jug was then spilt which obviously ignited as well and the person involved in the decanting was consumed by the flames.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Lets hope she makes a full recovery and reads THIS before the next time she decides to stroe petrol at home.

Reaction score
I do not know what people are getting their knickers in a twist about as the union will have to give a weeks (7 days) notice about industrial action. I think the government has caused the panic with the comments made by politicians and the press have not helped. As negotiations between management and the unions are still on going and will carried out with the help of ACAS. My guess is that it will go to the wire but a formular that both sides will be able to agree, especialy this dispute is not about money but Health and Safety and training.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fair enough, burns aint good.

But, Why the **** was she storing petrol in some random container?
Why was she decanting it into a glass jug!?
and most importantly, why was she hoarding it in the first place!?

I do know where you're coming from, believe me, the likes of you and I just cannot believe anybody could be so stupid but some folk really don't know a lot of the basics of life, they really don't.

Maybe this is where an education comes in handy and we learn the workings of the internal combustion engine and note that a mixture of petrol fumes and air is used to make the explosion.

To decant petrol next to a lit stove is somewhat akin to relieving oneself on the live rail.

But I don't think the soppy cow deserves scorn but rather sympathy, is all.

Ask a Question