Permissions

MarkV

I have recently taken ownership of a windows 2000 server
that will not allow me to change the file types. I know
that it has been locked by the previous computer
administrator, who we can not contact anymore. Can you
help me in this matter. When I use explorer to view a file
then right click it so I can change the file type the tabs
are grayed out. It would be very helpful to are small firm
to be able to change file types.

Mark

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi Mark,

On computers running Windows 2000 Terminal Services the UI is locked down so that no
one can change file type associations. If this is the case, see the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article for a method you can use to enable the File Types
dialog box:

KB257592 - Changes in File Types and File Association Features in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=257592

--
Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000

: "MarkV" <snsinc AT bellsouth DOT net>
: