PDFACTION

PDFrank

PDFACTION is advertised as freeware. It is one more in a growing list
of alternatives to Adobe Reader. For me, the most interesting feature
is its ability to save PDF forms. (A frequent complaint of Adobe Reader
is that forms usually cannot be saved.)

Its installation file is 20.6 MB, considerably larger than most other
Adobe Reader alternatives, e.g., Foxit Reader.

The first time I ran the program, it demanded I "activate" the program
by logging into the company's website and obtaining a code. The
software company does not forewarn the user that the product must be
"activated."

To get the activation code, the user must provide his name, address, and
e-mail. That alone should be enough to discourage many readers of this
forum.

The program actually performs well, although I'll admit I didn't test it
with a large number of PDFs. It seems to load about as quickly as Foxit
Reader does. As advertised, the user can save his form data along with
the PDF file. It cannot, however, export the form data and save it
separately in an FDF file as can, for example, Fy Tek PDF File Save.

If the file is searchable, PDFACTION can perform a word search. Text can
be copied from the file and pasted into another file. Like Adobe Reader,
the program can "read" the file aloud with a computer voice.

The bookmark feature is somewhat annoying because it only appears when
moused-over, then retracts. I could find no way to keep it permanently
in view.

The Macromedia icon shows on the document area when the program closes.
Apparently, the program utilizes Shockwave.

Like most PDF readers, including Adobe Reader, the GUI features an
advertisement for the company's other products. I could find no way to
disable it.

Now for the bad stuff: the program steals the PDF file association from
Adobe, and from any other PDF viewer (i.e., GSView, Foxit) you may have
installed, without warning and without the permission of the user -- a
very disrespectful act on the part of the software company. The bright
Adobe icon is replaced by a rather drab looking PDFACTION icon.

Some users may decide that gaining the ability to save PDF forms is
worth the annoyance of having the program steal the file association.
This message is posted to warn those who are otherwise disposed.

I should also point out that the "uninstall" will not restore the user's
computer to its pre-install state. The "uninstall" will leave files
behind; also, PDFACTION will remain the default program for PDFs even
though it is no longer installed. So, the user will either have to
re-install Adobe Reader or use a Restore Point, or backed-up registry,
to set everything aright.

This program might have been a good alternative to Foxit Reader if not
for its "activation" scheme and its changing file associations without
the user's permission.

Susan Bugher

PDFrank said:
PDFACTION is advertised as freeware.

Arghhhh. . . Thanks for the warning. :) You didn't give a URL. . . :(

Added info for future ACF archive searches.

I take it you're referring to a program from Future Solutions Media.
The download file name/link is a common denominator
http://www.futuresolutions.com.au/pdfactivereader_free.exe
but the name varies.

Home page:
http://www.futuresolutions.com.au/