pcnfs or nfs server

G

Hello

We are upgrading an old NT PDC (NT 4 Domain) running Chameleon Unix Link 97(not supported anymore). The server has an NFS share for unix users to connect to and windows shares for windows users to access..

I have created a windows 2000 server in the domain and have installed unix services for windows ver 3.0. I have copied over the windows shares and groups ...

I am trying to figure out whether to install PCNFS or NFS server. It is the only box that unix needs access to.
I am trying to configure the user mapping service but I am a little stuck on how the unix information is available to the windows box..

Do I have to copy the files from the unix box and if so how do they keep synched? If a new user is created on unix how does that unix user show up in the mapping service? Do I have to install nfs server?

IF you could point me in the right direction it would be very helpful..

cheers

M

Mark Funkenhauser

====================================
groucho said:
Hello

We are upgrading an old NT PDC (NT 4 Domain) running Chameleon Unix Link 97(not supported anymore). The server has an NFS share
for unix users to connect to and windows shares for windows users to access..
I have created a windows 2000 server in the domain and have installed unix services for windows ver 3.0. I have copied over the
windows shares and groups ...

First thing you need to do is get SFU 3.5 from the Microsoft web site. It is now free.
A lot of NFS bugs were fixed in this release.
I am trying to figure out whether to install PCNFS or NFS server. It is the only box that unix needs access to.

You just need to install NFS server and the User Name Mapping (UNM) Server.
(I'm assuming SFU UNM is not installed on any other Windows machine )

Just ignore PCNFS.
I am trying to configure the user mapping service but I am a little stuck on how the unix information is available to the windows box..

Once SFU is installed (UNM and NFS server) , you need to start the Windows Services for UNIX Administration GUI. From here you set
any NFS configuation values.
And you set up UNM. This is where you select whether the user/group database files containing the UNIX information is stored in NIS
or in plain text passwd and group files.
For NIS you just specify the hostname of the system running the NIS server.
If you're using passwd and group files, you need to have these files accessible to the Win2000 server machine.
Either copy them to the Windows box, or set up a drive letter mount that connects to the UNIX '/' filesystem
where these files are located. You can do this using CIFS if your UNIX box shares '/' with the Samba software
or you can install NFS Client on your Win2k server and then NFS mount to the UNIX '/' filesystem.

Do I have to copy the files from the unix box and if so how do they keep synched? If a new user is created on unix how does that
unix user show up in the mapping service? Do I have to install nfs server?

Ask a Question