Wanted PCI-e Graphics Card Wanted

CSB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Well my brother is in need of a graphics card as his second hand unit went kaput after a week. He is weighing up getting a 780 anyway, but thought I'd try here first in case it's better he buys another second hand unit which will be a lot cheaper.

His previous unit was a Geforce 9800GTX

Let me know anyone if you have any in good condition which you think will last a while longer.

Rob

CSB

Reaction score
ASUS GTX 750 Ti OC 2 GB

Just read the review for this card on here. Anyone think it would have any benefits or running this card in SLI? Probably just better for my brother to get the single 780?

Reaction score
Will he benefit from SLI?

Has he got a good enough PSU?

Can he afford it?

CSB

Reaction score
He can afford it and he would love SLI but then his current PSU is a be quiet 750w. Was meant to be the 850w version but Graeme from Kustoms had problems with his supplier which would have taken another week or more but I needed to have it finished before that as I live an hour and half away from my brother so I can't just get time off work to do another 3 hour + journey to install a psu.

Looks like he may just go for a single 780. I like the eVGA 780 Kingpin myself but it seems you can't find them anywhere in the UK. Even the Classified version looks nice but is it a better card than the Asus 780 direct cu II.

Obviously going the SLI route will mean at least a 850w unit. I think people get into thinking they need a mega psu when really the draw half the time isnt as much as they think. This in turn makes people waste money. Ive seen people go " I must have a 1200w psu if Im going to run a 780.

Anyway going off track.

Thanks TriplexDread

Reaction score
Problem is with the Kingpin you talking some serious heat generation

Having two in one case unless the case is stuffed full of fans or using Water cooling is asking for problems

£550 each and then water cooling for them ain't gonna be cheap if you can get hold of them via special order from EVGA

Last edited:

CSB

Reaction score
Oh I didnt mean my brother wanted to get 2 Kingpins. I just saw the reviews and is one of those dream cards.

If money was no object then I wouldnt think twice and would happily have 2 in an open system with water cooling etc. Ain't going to happen though unless I win the lottery lol

I've still got a 580GTX myself which can't run Crysis 3 on Ultra so now I'm having to compromise a fair bit on some games. Oh well, it still lets me run Mafia 2 and L.A Noire on max which are 2 excellent games. I've gone off Max Payne 3 as I prefered Max Payne 2. Number 3 just seems like it was with trying to milk the franchise a bit more.

CSB

Reaction score
Well worth a look. Both can be had pretty cheap these days if you shop around. Deffinately worth using an Xbox pad with these two if you have one.

Rumours of Mafia 3 in future but apparently the company has recently done a lot of restructuring moving offices etc. Hopefully it won't get canned. The first Mafia was my favourite game for quite some time when it first came out. Was fleshed out beautifully with a great storyline. With so much rubbish out today it makes you appreciate what those games did even more.

CSB

Reaction score
Normally only go for Nvidia, but how much you looking for it just out of interest?

CSB

Reaction score
I'll contact my brother to see if he's interested. I know he's still planning on getting a 780 soon, but maybe he'll still want this as an emergency card if something went wrong in the future. You never know. Thanks Abarbarian

CSB

Reaction score
Unfortunately my brother has decided to just go for a new card. Possibly an ebay Job Abarbarian? Better than them just sitting at yours?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Okydoky CSB. If I ever get around to e-baying I'll probably raise enough loot to afford a 780 sticker at least. :lol:

CSB

Reaction score
Well what it says on the outside of the case doesn't have to be the same as whats inside the case lol. All the best Abarbarian. Thanks again for letting me know anyway, it is appreciated.

Ask a Question