PC wont fire up with HDD connected

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve just installed a replacement MoBo, and I’m having a problem I need help with.

If I connect the HDD to the PSU the PC won’t boot up. All the fans work but I can’t get into bios and have no display and just short repetitive beeps from the speaker. I also have to power down from the mains plug.

If I disconnect the HDD from the PSU and reboot no problem the PC fires up as normal, and I can get into BIOS etc as one would expect. Power down from front switch as per usual.

I know the HDD is working as it was connected as a salve to an old PC a couple of days ago to back up the files in preparation for the new MoBo being fitted. Yes I have reset the jumpers to master.

Disconnecting the DVD, CD etc and using heir connectors to the HDD doesn’t make a difference. I have not added video cards etc as yet so running on just onboard video and sound.

Any ideas

MoBo- Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L

Socket A

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

256 Mb Ram

HDD- Maxtor 6Y120L0 - 120Gb – ATA 133

PSU -300w ATX

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Replacement mobo = windows reinstall unless its the exact same board. :)

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
That's odd, I kept a hdd with another copy of windows XP and the system booted up fine until it bluescreened after logon which then destroyed the motherboard completly with a blank screen and no beeps.

Ask a Question