PC speakers - subwoofer required?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need your expertise on trying to decide on some PC speakers. Our PC is in kitchen and I want to get some speakers to hook up to it so I can use itunes rather than cranking up hifi from front room as at present. PC is also situated next to small back garden so speakers would be useful for any parties etc.

I'm happy to go up to about £60 and have a subwoofer 2.1 setup. The missus (sadly) just wants a cheap as chips set up with 2 speakers on the desk and no sub (for space reasons).

Q is how big a difference in sound quality will there be between those two set-ups? I'm worried that if I go down the cheap as chips road I wouldn't be happy with the sound output. I'm no great audiophile but I want it to sound decent (doesn't even have to be loud). How important is a subwoofer to achieving good sound?

If it helps, as far as I know the PC has an Avance AC97 sound card - would that sound card influence what you guys would recommend for us?

Before coming on the forum and checking your speaker recommendations on other threads, I liked the look of the JBL creature speakers. Any thoughts on those?

Many thanks in advance!

xtal9

Reaction score
yes i would strongly recomend getting a subwoofer! i think its a must if you want your music to sound good! .. no subwoofer no bass :(

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Suggest you take a look at either Logitech or Altec Lancing, they are good value for money speakers. Many on this forum have bought them and are very happy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I agree with Quads recommendation of Logitech, but creative aint the best but certainly not the worst. :)

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts. Will post again once I've sorted out the situation.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
IMO a subwoofer is needed if your listening to music that has a bass line, i find that without one some speakers find it hard to cover the entire frequency range

Reaction score
yer go for a subwoofer

u wont regret it
and at the moment Logitech are running the business
creative are second

good luck

Reaction score
Gotta have bass...

xtal9 said:
Hi guys,

..... PC is also situated next to small back garden so speakers would be useful for any parties etc... The missus (sadly) just wants a cheap as chips set up with 2 speakers on the desk and no sub (for space reasons)...I'm worried that if I go down the cheap as chips road I wouldn't be happy with the sound output. Many thanks in advance! xtal9

I'd say go for the sub, the sound quality at any volume above quiet can't be missed. Then again I don't use pc speakers at all, I have a 'Y' cable running to a reciever and out to a pair of 3.5ft tower speakers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks

Hello again,

I ended up going for the JBL speakers in the end and am v happy with the results - the subwoofer certainly makes a big difference. Plus the speakers themselves take up hardly any room on the desk and the volume changer on the right unit is a very handy little thing. Thanks for all your contributions to the thread...

Reaction score
id like some new 5.1 speakers
i have some trust 5.1 5300? 6300? something like that and the subwoofer is very powerful for the price, but the satalites suck! no range at all! still cant complain - only cos me £30 for a full set - with phono wires!

Ask a Question