Advice for sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
:confused:At the moment I am running my sound from my Motherboard a ;Asus 970A-DS3P. I am unfortunately not able to use my Auzen Meridian card as support is no longer there as they seem to have gone out of business and unable to get drivers for Windows 8.1 64 bit. The on board sound card is OK but not up to the old Auzen card I was thinking is there a good card out there for a limited budget of say £30 with better sound reproduction for music, not at this so interested in games. Unfortunately my PC is in a small room 5ft 10ins X 7ft 6ins but the speakers are Microlabs 2.1 FC 360 and surprising good. Thanks in advanced for any recommendations. :thumb::bow:

Reaction score
Thanks feckit and Abarbarian I tried the drivers from hardware-guys but to no avail after all it a old card I have had it since 2006, so I splashed out on Sound Blaster Audigy Fx from Maplins it was at a good price £24-99. BUT I have a real problem now, when I try to boot up the PC it fires up for less than a second well the lights come on and the fans spin and just cuts out. I am at a loss what to do to rectify the fault:confused:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You've probably knocked something when you installed the sound card.

Open the computer up, check that the memory is pushed firmly into it's slot(s).

Take a good look around - any cables been knocked partly out? Especially the 12V 4/8 pin plug to motherboard? Does the graphics card need a seperate power cable (assuming you're using a graphics card) make sure it's secure.

Remove the sound card and see if it boots.

Too late now but in the budget sound card range imo you can't beat the Asus Xonar DG, I have two of them.

And just out of interest I'm using an Auzentech X-Fi 7.1 in my main computer, it's a goodie.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it fires up for less than a second well the lights come on and the fans spin and just cuts out.

FSB hit the nail on the head ... you have a "short" something is not seated right.

Do it again. :)

Reaction score
:cry:Certainly did Mr Mucks and flops did everything you said also disconnected the from the mains, switched off the power supply, removed the battery and switched it off several times and on with the boot switch to discharge any residual electricity in the MB to no avail, still nothing, zilch. After a little time cussing vehemently, swearing and banging head against brick wall decided I had spent enough time on the dam thing, took it all to pieces and rebuilt it still nothing, and went to bed in the small hours and cried like a baby, I think my wife bless her had enough of my frustration and bad temper that day.
Next morning went to Maplins and purchased a motherboard and CPU bundle Asus A88XM- Plus Motherboard, AMD Quad-Core A10-7700K Black Edition APU, and Corsair 2x4gb DDR3, runs as sweet as a nut:thumb: All I had to do was reregister with Microsoft and bobs your uncle.
Thanks for the help guys now hold your breath as just about to install my Auzen X Meridian sound card and down load the drivers thanks to Abarbarian for the link:bow::bow::bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question