PC Shut down issue !?

Reaction score
Right people ... you know the pc i built my friend well he is on the phone to me now ... and he has just said "The pc is restarting it's self, it gets to the windows XP start bit ... where it loads up (the little bar thingy) then he says it goes blank and restarts :S

Don't know whats up ... it comes to the screen where you get to choose the options of safe mode or normally etc ... he says he has tried everything :S

Please reply thanx

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
pull off the heatsink and clean it then apply some thermal paste and re install, if it still does it pull everything out and reseat it, if it still does it try with only the essentials.

has he been using it for a while or has he just turned it on ? will it boot into safe mode ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
He hasn't got any thermal paste !!! lol

I just told him to reconnect everything for a starter ...

Yeah he has been using it since i built it for him ... lol

And no it doesn't boot in any of the options available ?!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if it won't boot then he may have a corrupt installation or virus, does he have another PC he can test things in ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Would agree with Me_2001 - corrupt mbr, either caused by bad luck but more likely to be a virus.

You're possibly looking at a format c: scenario here :(

Or you could boot from XP CD and try a repair/mbr rebuild. But if it was caused by a virus, not much chance.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Would agree with Me_2001 - corrupt mbr, either caused by bad luck but more likely to be a virus.

You're possibly looking at a format c: scenario here :(

Or you could boot from XP CD and try a repair/mbr rebuild. But if it was caused by a virus, not much chance.
Sounds like W32 SASSER:(

Reaction score
Well i couldn't install XP on his new SATA drive as it didn't recognise it ... so i installed it on his old one and overwrite his old Windows ..

He said he might bring it over to mine tomoz ... so shall i boot up from the XP disc and do a repair ?!!?

And no he doesn't have another pc to test things on ... :S

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Surely he should of had some sort of antivirus Installed on the machine..

Tut tut Belloni i thought you would have learnt by now and at least advised your friend on some precautionary measures for the Pc that you have built him...

Let this be a lesson....:p

Reaction score
Belloni said:
Right people ... you know the pc i built my friend well he is on the phone to me now ... and he has just said "The pc is restarting it's self, it gets to the windows XP start bit ... where it loads up (the little bar thingy) then he says it goes blank and restarts :S

Don't know whats up ... it comes to the screen where you get to choose the options of safe mode or normally etc ... he says he has tried everything :S

Please reply thanx

Belloni

how many friends that have troublesome pcs do u know of?

if i were u id start charging them!

lol

Reaction score
So you all think it's a virus ?!?!

I installed Ad-aware on it along with Spybot ... he was going to install Norton himself ?! lol

PSD LOL !!! Then they will just help someone else ! lol

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
did he actually get round to installing norton ? how about a firewall ? if he's been using it all this time online without then he's probably got a virus

Reaction score
No he didn't ... to busy playing CS:S and Warcraft ... i did tell him lol

I think he took off the Windows Firewall coz it was annoying but i ain't too sure on that ...

So it's probably a virus ?!?! if it is ... now what !!?? lol

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if it wont boot then you have two options, stick the hard drive in your PC and try to get any important stuff off whilst risking infection yourself or pop a boot disk in format and re-install

i like the second option, if he isnt gonna protect himself say theres no way of getting the files off and format it

Reaction score
kk I'll get my dad to make a boot disk as i don't know how lol so i turn the pc on ... shove the boot disk in ... then head from there ?!?!

Reaction score
kk I'll look into more tomoz probably thanx :)

Much appreciated i'll let you lot know how i get on and what happens if anything ! ol

Ask a Question