PC running on low virtual memory

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need your help in extending my pc virtual memory frequently getting this warning.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
add more memory (ram) and/or a bigger hard drive. :)

What is Low virtual memory:

Any programs currently running on your computer must reside in memory. These programs include Windows itself and any programs that you have started; they may be running in the foreground where you interact with them, or in the background where they act on their own or await your interaction.

The main memory in your computer is the physical memory, or RAM (random access memory). This physical memory generally is not large enough to hold all of the running programs, so Windows sets up some additional virtual memory as a file on the hard drive. It then swaps portions of the programs between the physical and virtual memories, always having the currently active portion of a program in the physical memory.

Windows sets the default minimum size of virtual memory at 1.5 times that of the RAM, and the maximum size at 3 times the minimum. Windows then manages the actual size, expanding and contracting it as needed within these limits provided you have adequate space on the drive. You can override this and set the minimum and maximum limits of virtual memory yourself; however, I usually do not recommend this for most users.

The message that virtual memory is low means that the programs you are running need more space, but Windows cannot find enough within the constraints imposed.

:user:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826513

Reaction score
You should try to increase the C drive space and never install your software on the C drive if possible.

Reaction score
Hi muckshifter,

Thanks for explaining :bow:

Hi willsonjack

It worked, I increased my C drive space by deleting temp files. :D

Ask a Question