PC Review needs YOU!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ask not what PC Review can do for you - ask what YOU can do for PC Review
nod.gif

There are many, many hundreds of registered members here, and quite a few are regular visitors and posters - however there are only 24 members which are currently active 'crunchers' for the PC Review Distributive Computing team - The PCReview Crew II.

What is Distributive Computing? - well it is using the unused processing power or cycles of your computers(s) to help solve medical problems.......This is where you come in.....It would cost a great deal of money for these research companies to buy the processing power required, and so they ask for help from the general public. By simply downloading the relevant software, anyone can let their computer 'crunch' data, with the aim of finding such things as a cure for Cancer/Aids/Muscular Dystrophy etc.

The program runs in the background while your computer is switched on, and you can go about your normal daily business without noticing any difference - it runs at the lowest priority, is unobtrusive and only uses the processor cycles that your other running programs are not using at the time.

The Team here crunches for World Community Grid, which runs research projects to help find cures and medicines to combat Cancer, Aids, Dengue Fever, Human Proteome and also work to help predict and combat the effects of climate change in Africa. You can choose to run them all, some or individually - its entirely up to you.

All the research is entirely NON-PROFIT making, and all completed research papers/data is freely available for any Research Charity (such as Cancer Research), company or individual to access and use.

How can I help? - you can register and download the software (BOINC) onto your computer from the World Community Grid website (WCG) HERE, and also join our crunching team at the same time or later via this link - The PCReview Crew II.

Once BOINC is installed using the username and password you registered at WCG with, you can login to the WCG site and go to your 'My Grid' page and select what projects you wish to run. You can also visit the link for the Forums and say Hi in our Team Thread.

Whats in it for me? - There are no financial rewards for doing this, but there is the deep satisfaction that by merely contributing those unused computer cycles when you are using your computer, you are helping find cures for some of the Worlds most devastating Illness and Diseases, many of which may sadly strike You, your Family and your Friends at any time - who knows, it could be the one tiny single work unit that YOU crunch that leads to that all important breakthrough.

Your contributions are however recognised by PC Review by the awarding of a 'Custom User Title' without waiting for the usual post qualification.

There is also a special 'Crunchers Corner' section here where Daily Statistics for the Team are posted, along with any project updates, issues and user problems may be posted.

Why am I asking for help now? - The PC Review crunching team are participating in a 3 week Easter 'Bunny Race' from 1st - 23rd March 2008. We are currently placed 11th out of 126 teams, and have already beaten our previous highest daily points score (347,535 yesterday).....but we want to do better, and with Yours and all the Forum Members help we can achieve great things and at the same time help find cures for those devastating diseases.

Please give it a try, even if just for a few days, or for the duration of the race - if you like it and enjoy the camaraderie then it will be fantastic if you stay, if you find its not for you then we will thank you heartily for your contributions and wish you well....................but all we ask is you give it a go and see.

I thank you all, and hope to welcome you soon to the team
nod.gif

Ady :)

Reaction score
Hi Ady :)

May I add:

It is also a great way of forging friendships with folk from all over the world.
The Distributed Computing community is a large one and the related forums can be a fun place.(good for computing related advice too) :)

Give it a try.....it really DOES add value to your computing use.

Of course you can decide against doing it if for any reason you choose to, but please.....give it a try.
You may be surprised at how satisfying it can be :)

Reaction score
I dont mind becoming one of the crunchers if thats any help in any way as I am a regular member.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

wizkid

Reaction score
I am not a team regular here but I say.............climb aboard :)
Anybody and everybody is MOST WELCOME :thumb:

Edit: Ady/Ian- may I suggest a separate thread for advice for new members?
A thread where they can post any setup questions and such?

Maybe if we show how easy it all is then more may be interested :)

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
wizkid said:
I dont mind becoming one of the crunchers if thats any help in any way as I am a regular member.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

wizkid
We would be delighted to have you wiz
nod.gif
- follow the links in the 'How can I help?' section in the OP, and if you need further help setting up, just post a new thread in Crunchers Corner :thumb:

vaio said:
Edit: Ady/Ian- may I suggest a separate thread for advice for new members?
A thread where they can post any setup questions and such?
Yep, each new member can post a personal help thread in the 'Crunchers Corner' section and we can provide any assistance there - I will endeavor to provide a generic set-up thread with links too :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yes the software is perfectly safe - when you register at WCG you can use any username you like............WCG is not linked with the PC Review forum in any way apart from we have a team that participates there.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
wizkid - look here!!

wizkid - I have moved all your set-up queries to your own personal thread HERE over at Crunchers Corner so we can give you the help you need without diverting from the message of this thread :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Are YOU next?

OK - roll up, roll up......who's going to be the newest member of the team then? :D

Its fun, easy to do, and very worthwhile - so why not give it a try?
nod.gif

Please Support Your Forum!! :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Strange old world .

I bet loads of the folks who visit here spend hours looking for the latest hi-tech gadgets and toys and phones etc . Spend hours learning how to program them and set them up to run how they want . Then spend hours and days playing with them .

Strange old world .

user.gif

Reaction score
This all sounds interesting to me, but I have a question..I use a Three USB Broadband modem, and was just wondering, how is this crunching malarky going to cripple my data allowance by...????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I belive that the info you need to download and up load from the World Community Grid is very small even if you crunch 24/7. Why not give it atry and monitor your uploads and downloads with something like Net Meter. The Boinc program is easy to customise to suit your own particular requirements. You do not need to crunch 24/7, evry single unit counts and remember yours may be the one that makes the breakthrough.

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
It makes very little difference overall. You will not notice it.

Come on, sign up for it. It's well worth the minimal effort.

Reaction score
Thanks guys..I'll be signing up in the morning..And doing some monitoring over the next week or so...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great news Madxgraphics! Welcome to crunching :D

Reaction score
Internet Safety

nod.gif
How can i be sure that there's nothing untoward going on with this crunching lark? How can i be sure they aint swiping me spondulix when i'm not watching.
I have been working in pharmaceutical the last 12 years and the last 5 of which were for a well known research and development company and i have to say i have never heard of WGC and its endeavours. I'm not knocking what they do , i just have never heard of them. How do i go about researching this company??
:confused: Zzzzz
ps. i'm getting me kevlar on now cos i reckon there will be lots of replies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
captain zed said:
nod.gif
How can i be sure that there's nothing untoward going on with this crunching lark? How can i be sure they aint swiping me spondulix when i'm not watching.
I have been working in pharmaceutical the last 12 years and the last 5 of which were for a well known research and development company and i have to say i have never heard of WGC and its endeavours. I'm not knocking what they do , i just have never heard of them. How do i go about researching this company??
:confused: Zzzzz
ps. i'm getting me kevlar on now cos i reckon there will be lots of replies.

linky

phicksus

Sweet and Innocent
Reaction score
They are legit Capt Zed. Been crunching there a few years. Switched off to another project and guess I need to get back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question