PC reboots

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
hi guyy

my mum got me an old PC from her work, nothing spectacular 2Ghz P4, 512MB RAM and onboard graphics. i was going to convert it into a storage/media server but am having problems with it

i needed to install XP so formatted the disc and left it to do its thing, come back and i had a stop error, can't remember it of the top of my head. i rebooted it and tried again, managed to get to the point of entering the serial and setting region etc then i got a 0x000000E5 error.

rebooted it again and started over, then the screen started going funky and producing vertical lines, turned it off and popped in my spare 9600SE as i was going to use it anyway. turned it on and all was good until the system rebooted during the install and then continued to do so at the motherboard splash screen.

i then tuned it off and left it for a minute, tried it again and the screen was blank. pulled the graphics card out and tried the onboard graphics, nothing from that either. the hard drive spins up and the CD drive does as well but there are no beeps or picture on the screen?

my thought is that the graphics are shot and it must have taken the AGP port out as well so i'd need a new motherboard.

Any ideas on what to check?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i doubt its the PSU but yeah i do have a spare Antec 450W i can try with it

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be the motherboard if you're getting a blank screen with no beeps. Perhaps try resetting the BIOS using the jumper pins and see if you can get it working using the onboard graphics then - worth a shot :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It could be the motherboard if you're getting a blank screen with no beeps. Perhaps try resetting the BIOS using the jumper pins and see if you can get it working using the onboard graphics then - worth a shot :)

forgot to mention i've already tried that. There is a small LED indicating the board has power and it all appears to boot up fine but there is no display :(

can't think of anything else other than its dead, oh well it was a freebie after all

been looking at aria and have come up with the following parts that i'd need to build something that works

AMD X2 5000+
Asus M2A-MX
2GB Patriot Extreme
Asus ATI HD 2400 Pro 256MB

total is just under £125 delivered

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I been looking lately and cpu's are cheaper at E-Buyer. I'd go for the 4850 as it is a 45W cpu.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question