PC gets to the startup screen no further

Reaction score
I'm trying to sort out a friends HP Pavilion Desktop PC and well this is the problem... You start it up and you get to the opening HP screen with the usual options, but nothing happens. I've tried to get into the BIOS but all it says is entering BIOS but nothing happens... Full spec is as follows: HP Pavillion desktop, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor, Asus Benicia IPIBL-BL Motherboard, 2 GB RAM, Running Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried to do a recovery but the machine won't even give the option of the boot menu. I'm starting to think the CPU or Motherboard has gone. My friend did mention he had a virus before it comletely died. Any ideas anyone?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
A virus wouldnt stop you from getting into the bios, there must be a hardware problem if your cant even get into the bios. Try removing the battery on the motherboard for a minute, then put it back in to reset the cmos then try. If that still doesnt work there must be a piece of hardware at fault, if you have spare parts you can try eliminating them 1 by 1. If it has 2 or more sticks of memory/ram try just using 1 stick, if that doesnt work try a different stick and so on.

Guide to resetting cmos/bios: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Ask a Question