pc games

Reaction score
I would like to know why pc games today install say 1.5GB and still need the cd.

I do a full install of most games and i don,t see the point in asking for the cd still!.

Plus why do company still do games on normal cd.

Most pc have a dvd drive today. They are only 20 pounds or less.

Am sick and tried of installing 4 cd when a dvd can do it in 1.

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
the cd is for verification
and new games can be bought on dvd (one disk)
or cd (multiple disks)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I got a brand new bit of software called " Virtual CD V3 " from e-bay for a £5 inc postage but it will only work with OS below XP , the latest versions work on XP . Or you could try some open source software if you google for it .

This loads the CD's on to your hard drive so they are always a click away , no noisy CD drives either and your games run a tad quicker . :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A typical PC Game wil take a team of five or so people several years to make.

This costs them a lot of money, as people won't work for free.

When the game is finished, they like to sell it, hoping to recoup their investment costs and also make a profit.

That's what business's do, try and make a profit. Contrary to popular belief, PC Game developers are not there just to provide people with free entertainment.

So, if the game did not require the CD/DVD in the drive to play, person X could let persons A,B,C,D,F & G (ad infinitum) load the game onto their PC's as well without paying for it.

Which means said game developer has potentially lost out on many sales. And is the reason why many games developers go bankrupt.

So, that's the reason why you need the disc in the drive.

£30.00 for a PC Game is quite fair, imo, especially when you consider the time spent developing it and the hours of entertainment you'll gain from it. And it's also a fair price compared to console games.

As long as games developers stay solvent, we'll get better games, in theory.

Interestingly, some games, such as Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness, don't need the disc in the drive to play.

Here endeth the lesson :)

Ask a Question