PC audio

Reaction score
This could be a really dumb question, but here goes...

I plan to do some live recording straight into my PC and then do some audio editing using Cool Edit Pro.
I'll need to hook a microphone straight in to my PC, but as a mic lead uses a 6.3mm jack and the mic port on my PC is 3.3mm, I'm a bit stuck. Have searched everwhere on the web for 6.3 to 3.5 adapters, but to no avail. Am I missing something fundamental? Is there a particular piece of hardware I'll need to buy?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated...
:confused:

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advice...:bow:
...feel a bit stupid now as I found the exact adapter I need in a Dixons shop!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Naw ... never stupid, just a little forgetful, like me. ;)

Reaction score
Audio issues

Hi,
Further to my previous post, I am well annoyed. I've managed to buy a jack/adaptor, so that I can connect my mic to my PC, but it's not working properly. The mic is an XLR job and is hooked up to your standard XLR cable. I've then got an adapter which allows the XLR jack (6.3mm) to plug in to the mic socket of my laptop (3.5mm). For some bizarre reason, the signal is really super quiet. Does anyone know why this might be so??
Any help would be great...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Are you not confusing XLR with RCA? Can you please calarify?

Reaction score
The mic is definitely XLR. On the other end of the XLR cable that plugs into the mic, there is a 6.3mm jack. To plug this into the mic input socket on my laptop, I've got a converter so that the 6.3mm plug will fit in the 3.5mm socket...
...I think the problem might be due to the fact that it might be a compressor mic and in need of a pre-amp to boost the signal...:(

Ask a Question