Password Recovery

BT

I have several old files on floppies, written with office '97 that I
password protected. I have tried all the old passwords I can think of, but
two files have different passwords.

Can anybody suggest a free password recovery tool. (even if it only gives me
the first three letters, it will help)

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

socrtwo

BT said:
I have several old files on floppies, written with office '97 that I
password protected. I have tried all the old passwords I can think of, but
two files have different passwords.

Can anybody suggest a free password recovery tool. (even if it only gives me
the first three letters, it will help)

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

http://www.s2services.com/word-password.htm

Susan Bugher

BT said:
I have several old files on floppies, written with office '97 that I
password protected. I have tried all the old passwords I can think of, but
two files have different passwords.

Can anybody suggest a free password recovery tool. (even if it only gives me
the first three letters, it will help)

dunno if these will be any help to you or not:

Program: 123 Password Recovery (Password Recovery)
Company: iOpus
Ware: (Freeware) LFW (v 3.01)
http://www.woundedmoon.org/
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/123pwdrec_setup.html
http://woundedmoon.org/win32/123pwdrec_setup.exe
(174,140 bytes)

Program: Protected Storage PassView
Company: NirSoft
Author: (Nir Sofer)
Ware: (Freeware) (free for personal use)
http://www.nirsoft.net/
www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.zip
(28 KB)

Program: Revelation
Company: SnadBoy Software
Ware: Donationware
http://www.snadboy.com/
http://www.snadboy.com/RevelationV2.zip
v2.0 (217,666 bytes)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

socrtwo

socrtwo said:

See also http://www.s2services.com/excel-password.htm for Excel.

When I did the pages above of freeware Word and Excel password crackers
I was asurprised how many there were. Here are the relevant ones:

++Word Password Cracking Freeware++

* GuaWord - http://www.password-crackers.com/crack/guaword.html - Pavel
Semjanov, the author. He is an interesting Russian password expert who
hosts a comprehensive password recovery software review site. He
inspired me I think. The actual download is here:
http://www.password-crackers.com/DOWNLOAD/guawrd09.zip. It's in
English.

* Password Recovery Suite 3.1 -
http://www.s2services.com/textfiles/prs31setup.exe - the author is now
embaressed by this program, but it still works pretty well.

* Crackit - http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/crackit.zip -
Jack Kennel wrote this hard to find freeware, but works well enough
that someone translated another version into Turkish!

* Word97cr - http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/word97cr.zip -
Dimitry Sumin wrote this and then he went commercial in a big way (see
lostpassword.com). His company is near the top or is the premier
commercial password cracking software site.

++Excel Password Cracking Freeware++

* Password Recovery Suite 3.1 -
http://www.s2services.com/textfiles/prs31setup.exe - works for Excel as
well.

* Crackit - http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/crackit.zip -
works for Excel well.

* Excel Password Remover - http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html -
unprotects Excel documents but doesn't crack passwords for opening
Excel spreadsheets.

There are a few others for Word and Excel earlier version (Office 95
and below). You can see them on my pages. I don't think they work on
Office 97 files because I believe the 40 bit key encryption default was
introduced with Office 97 (and continues through Office 2003.

Al Klein

++Excel Password Cracking Freeware++

There's really no "cracking" involved - Office 97 passwording is a
joke. Take an Excel or Access file, copy it, password "protect"
either the original or the copy, they compare the 2 files. Take the
area that's different and XOR the bytes from one file with the
equivalent bytes of the other file. That's your "cracker".

MS redefined "weak protection" with this one.