overclocking...

Reaction score
Ok, being a numskull here, but A, what is it entail and what does it do? B, Is it worth doing?

I probably wouldn't need to do it, however I would like to learn about it.

Cheers Martyn

Reaction score
Overclocking verb: Increasing the frequency and occasionally power of computer components so that they operate at faster speeds. Usually involves the creation of lots of heat and invalidation of warranties.

Ok.

Take my P4 2.8c processor.

FSB of 200MHz (quad pumped)

I increase the CPU VCore to 1.55 volts from 1.52v

I increase that to 222MHz and multiply by the multiplier of 14 - gives me 3.108GHz on the CPU and 444MHz on the memory.

I see if my computer will boot. If it does, and it runs stable, my Processor is no longer a 2.8GHz, its a 3.1GHz and my memory is no longer 400MHz, its 444MHz.

Generally, only overclock if you have

- A good motherboard
- A good PSU
- Good Memory (PC3500 or more)
- Good case cooling
- Good CPU cooling

You can overclock graphics cards too, this generally only involves increasing memory and core speeds with a slider within windows, not bios until it starts to artefact.

So whats all this in 3DMark03 scores?

Computer unoverclocks pulls about 5900 3DMarks

Overclocked it pulls about 6500 3DMarks

General system performance is MAJORLY increased too - the extra power is noticable.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
your right Chris there is a notable increase when you overclock. Hey Techy so far that hasent happened to me yet!

Ask a Question