Outlook Outlook wont launch( plus other problems)

Reaction score
Suddenly I am having a number of problems and wonder if I have been infected with some "nasty"
I use a Dell desktop PC with Windows XP.
I cant launch a range of applications as normal from either desktop icons or icons on tray beside Start button. Desktop icon dbl click gives Error - application not found. Tray icon sngl click gives "What program would you like to open this file". My two most used applicationa are Internet Explorer and Office Outlook. I have managed to gain access to IE but Outlook remains unavailable. I use Zone Alarm Security Suite as my protection system, and have run this repeatedly in deep scan mode both in "Virus" and "Spyware" mode. One virus and a number of Spywares were detected and deleted but my problem remains. I have also rebooted but no change. I am not very PC skilled, just use it as a tool, so any advice to me would need to be "simple". I do have access to a relation who works in IT so he may be necessary to implement any complex fixes. HELP!

Reaction score
Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  • Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Ask a Question