Outlook Virus???

Barry

From: "Barry" <[email protected]>
Subject: Outlook express Virus???
Date: Sunday, August 24, 2003 8:01 AM

I keep getting email (undeliverable) that I didn't send...It comes from:
(e-mail address removed) with a subject of: failure notice
It then said
" Hi, This is the qmail-send program at mail1.chek.com.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out."

The message contains about 27 pages of numbers/letters etc.
I get about 2 or 3 of these things a day
Do I have a virus???
I am running the current ver. of AVG.
Using Internet Firewall provided by XP
Would appreciate any help
Thanks
Barry/Austin

Sharon F

From: "Barry" <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, August 24, 2003 8:01 AM

I keep getting email (undeliverable) that I didn't send...It comes from:
(e-mail address removed) with a subject of: failure notice
It then said
" Hi, This is the qmail-send program at mail1.chek.com.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out."

The message contains about 27 pages of numbers/letters etc.
I get about 2 or 3 of these things a day
Do I have a virus???
I am running the current ver. of AVG.
Using Internet Firewall provided by XP
Would appreciate any help
Thanks
Barry/Austin

Barry, you probably don't have a virus or worm. More likely is that someone
else (with your email address on their system) is infected. Many worms
randomly pick an address they find and insert it as Sender. The
mailer-daemon is responding to the "sender" which appears to be you when it
really isn't. The best thing to do with these mails is to delete them.

I believe that the 27 pages of code you're seeing is the text equivalent of
a worm or virus that was attached to the email.

Do not open files that come attached to these mails in a manner that would
execute the code they contain. Doing so would infect your machine. If your
antivirus protection does not have a definition to protect against whatever
is inside (can happen even with current definitions), it will not be able
to stop the infection.