Outlook Outlook freezing

Reaction score
I am running Windows Server 2003 SP2 for my exchange server. At random times throughout the day, maybe two or three times per day, there is an icon at the bottom of the screen saying outlook is trying to retreive data from exchange server. There are no errors on exhange server for events nor the citrix boxes that I have for events.

Another, may or may not be related, OWA asks for the password multiple times, freezes, then kicks you out. When this happens, everybody in the office gets the same thing.

I think it is a Vista problem because it seems people with Vista are having more issues. The real problem is after you get the message, it kicks you out altogether.

Any help / suggestions?

Reaction score
also an update.

When the freeze happens, it is for 5-7 seconds of the entire exchange server.

If the client was not doing anything on outlook (i.e. replying, adding attachments, ect.) then they will not receive the error message.

I have been informed (by reading previous threads) that my virus scanner set on e-mails may be causing the problem.
I disabled this and will post later in the day if that helped or not.

Reaction score
Hiya,

Couple of things if you can let me know...

1. Is it Exchange 2003 and what service pack?
2. What other clients are you running....Vista, XP etc...
3. have you got multiple Exchnage servers, or server's on the network?
4. What other roles does this server perform.

If you can let me know then that would help. cheers.

Reaction score
1. Exchange 2003 SP2
2. Citrix (2003 server) & XP
3. no
4. none

As far as my update. That did not fix the problem.

Reaction score
Cheers for that. So is it citrix that you access Outlook/OWA through? When you setup the outlook profiles for user's did you enable 'caching'

Cheers.

Reaction score
I did not enable it. and I am not sure if it comes by default or not either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok no probs, by default it should be off anyhow. SO what sort of connection have the clients got - is it a standard wired network? And i'm assuming the clients are PC's as oppose to thin terminals or anything? Do you actually access outlook/OWA through the citrix programme neighbourhood or can they be accessed outside of this? Just trying to elimate things really - the message that comes up would indicate a slow connection to the exchnage, can also occur if there are multiple exchnage servers in an organisation.

Cheers.

Reaction score
it is a wired network, the clients are on PCs yes. They access outlook through citrix and outside citrix but it is irrelevant in this case because it is happening in both cases. I don't think there is a slow connection because my server's CPU load and network load never exceed 20% usage. I have been monitoring this throughout the week and the server never spikes or gives any type of indication that something is wrong. not even an error message. There is only one exchange server by the way. :-(

I am stuck in a hole, help!

Reaction score
Umm, sounds annoying. Definately something to do with a loss of connection or a slow down of service i'd say. Is anything logged under event viewer, any MSExchange entries at all? If it is suffering from a slow connection for some reason, one work around could be to enable the caching on a user's profile(to test) and this will basically create a local cached copy of the mailbox so that instead of using the exchange for all it's processing power etc it will only sync between the local pc and exchnage when needed, so in effect if complete connection was lost to the exchnage the user would still be able to access there mailbox through Outlook in offline mode. May not be an ideal soultion but maybe worthwhile testing to see if this helps...dont think this would make any difference to the OWA issue tho. I take it the server is the DC and everything is hooked up with a standard switch(10/100)?

Cheers.

Ask a Question