Outlook Express error 0x800CCC79

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm having problems sending emails from OE and keep getting variations on the following message:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was (e-mail address removed). Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to caps-solutions.co.uk is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I rang NTL for help and they insist that it's not their problem, as I can send email via their webmail without any problems. They basically advised me to search for the error on Google!

I've also been to the Advanced tab in the account properties and made sure that there are no ticks in the SSL boxes after reading other people's solutions to this problem but that hasn't made any difference.

Any help that anyone can offer would be really appreciated - this is driving me crazy!

Emma

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The only thing I could find is this:

littlearrow.gif
Error 0x800CCC79
line.gif

The cause of this error is due to the fact that the SMTP server requires authentication.

Check your Outlook Express settings, making sure that your SMTP username, password, and server are correct.
Then follow this procedure to make sure you set up Outlook Express to use SMTP authentication :
  • 1. Click "Accounts" in the "Tools" menu
    2. Click on your email account then click "Properties"
    3. Click "Servers"
    4. Make sure the "My server requires authentication" box is checked
Why not give it a go and see if it works.....?

Reaction score
OK. Tried that and now I get this error instead...

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
What AV and Firewall Software are you using?- it could be that it is blocking the required ports 110 and 25. Try disabling them and giving it a go. If it works, you will have to manually configure your firewall to allow access.

Also make sure in OE Accounts that the Incoming Server (POP3) is set to port 110 and Outgoing Server (SMTP) is set to port 25.

Also look at this MS Help Topic regarding this problem and test the ports...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q191687

One other thing - has this just suddenly started happening, and has it worked OK with your OE settings before?

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Em_Linton said:
OK. Tried that and now I get this error instead...

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas?

I've just noticed that on this error message your outgoing mail SMTP server shows as being 'freeserve'. Are you on NTL broadband trying to access your NTL mail? - if so the outgoing mail SMTP server needs to be smtp.ntlworld.com.
Where does the Freeserve account come in?

Can you make sure all settings are as illustrated on the NTL Support Tutorial HERE

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That is the clasic NTL mail server error ... it used to happen at least once a month.

All you usually needed to do was retype your user-name and password and if lucky, all would be well ... if not, you waited for them to get the server fixed, and tried again later.

At no time did NTL ever admit to it being a server error ... :rolleyes:

NTL's "pop" & "smtp" are both .ntlworld.com ... eg; pop.ntlworld.com & smtp.ntlworld.com

:thumb:

Reaction score
outlook SMTP error 0x800CCC79

You may want to try changing the SMTP port to 587 in your email client. Most ISPs are blocking or filtering Email from external domains on port 25, even if you are not specifying their servers in outlook. They sometimes use your IP address as authentication, in which case checking the "My outgoing server requires authentication" will often also cause the send to fail. So try unchecking this nad cahnging your SMTP port to 587.

An example may clear this up. Suppose I had a registered doamin name, mydomain.com, and an email account (e-mail address removed), and my ISP's domain name is hugeconglomerate.net. If I have outlook configured to send this email through smtp.mydomain.com, at some point it has to be relayed by my ISP's server, probably something like smtp.
hugeconglomerate.net (almost all email is relayed at some point). the server smtp.hugeconglomerate.net is going to see mydomain.com as an external domain and usually block this on port 25 (this is VERY common these days). This is because they have no Information on mydomain.com and cannot verify that you are in fact a legitimate user and not a spoofer/spammer. Most ISPs use Port 587 as an alternate port and you may be able to send through that port , which you can modify in the advanced tab of more setting in outlook.

Reaction score
Yes, This worked for me also- error 530-Microosft Outlook

Microosft Outlook
Can receive, but cannot send emails.
Somehow the settings in account properties got changed
530 authentication required - error

0x800ccc78

Go to account properties, and change for outbound server that authentication is required.

My outbound server requires SMTP authentication." check this box.
This fixed the problem.

Caution: My ISP support tech was hopeless and gave me very bad advice, which I did not follow.

----------------------------------------------------
Adywebb said:
The only thing I could find is this:

littlearrow.gif
Error 0x800CCC79
line.gif

The cause of this error is due to the fact that the SMTP server requires authentication.

Check your Outlook Express settings, making sure that your SMTP username, password, and server are correct.
Then follow this procedure to make sure you set up Outlook Express to use SMTP authentication :
  • 1. Click "Accounts" in the "Tools" menu
    2. Click on your email account then click "Properties"
    3. Click "Servers"
    4. Make sure the "My server requires authentication" box is checked
Why not give it a go and see if it works.....?

Reaction score
I am having same problem ,I got tired from it , at last I found this thread on pcreview forum,believe me I got the solution in seconds.:thumb: i am happy now so i decided to become a member of it so that I take advantage from other experiences on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question