Outlook Contacts & the GAL

Jesslyn Hendrix

We are migrating to Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 from Exchange5.5/Outlook XP
and I have a concern. If a user has added a GAL entry into their Contacts,
will the Contact verify from the GAL once the user is moved to the new
server

Example, Bob adds Jenny from the GAL into his contact list, Jenny gets moved
to the new Exchange server, her email address stays the same, but her X400
address would change. Will Bob get a NDR when he sends Jenny an email where
it is resolving the the Contact, not the entry from the GAL? Will his
Contact list verify the address in the GAL?

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi Jesslyn,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my knowledge, the contacts will not verify the address in GAL when
you import the entry to the Contacts. However, you are still able to send
message to the contact as the user's SMTP address is not changed. When the
message is sent to the recipient in Contacts, it will be resolved to the
SMTP address. Thus, you are still able to send message to the original
contact without problem.

Hope this help!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "Jesslyn Hendrix" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Outlook Contacts & the GAL
|Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:52:31 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|We are migrating to Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 from
Exchange5.5/Outlook XP
|and I have a concern. If a user has added a GAL entry into their
Contacts,
|will the Contact verify from the GAL once the user is moved to the new
|server
|
|Example, Bob adds Jenny from the GAL into his contact list, Jenny
gets moved
|to the new Exchange server, her email address stays the same, but her
X400
|address would change. Will Bob get a NDR when he sends Jenny an email
where
|it is resolving the the Contact, not the entry from the GAL? Will his
|Contact list verify the address in the GAL?

Jason

Jesslyn Hendrix said:
We are migrating to Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 from Exchange5.5/Outlook XP
and I have a concern. If a user has added a GAL entry into their Contacts,
will the Contact verify from the GAL once the user is moved to the new
server

Example, Bob adds Jenny from the GAL into his contact list, Jenny gets moved
to the new Exchange server, her email address stays the same, but her X400
address would change. Will Bob get a NDR when he sends Jenny an email where
it is resolving the the Contact, not the entry from the GAL? Will his
Contact list verify the address in the GAL?

The entry in "Contacts" is not a link to the live GAL
as far as I know.