Outlook 2007-Meeting requests are appearing as emails

Angie

I have the full Office Enterprise 2007 version and when I receive a meeting
request, it looks lik an email, not a meeting request. When I open it, there
is no option to accept, decline or tenatively accept. I have access to
Outlook 2003, so I'm sending meeting requests from Outlook 2003 to Outlook
2007 to test this and its not working. I am able to send out meeting
requests from Outlook 2007 and they are received as meeting requests. Please
help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

What version of Outlook is the sending party using? Is it always from the
same user? If not, what versions do the failed meeting requests originate
from?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Angie asked:

| I have the full Office Enterprise 2007 version and when I receive a
| meeting request, it looks lik an email, not a meeting request. When
| I open it, there is no option to accept, decline or tenatively
| accept. I have access to Outlook 2003, so I'm sending meeting
| requests from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 to test this and its not
| working. I am able to send out meeting requests from Outlook 2007
| and they are received as meeting requests. Please help, I don't know
| what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Angie

The sending party is using Outlook 2003. No, it's not from the same person.
I can forward the Outlook 2003 meeting invites as iCalendars and they work,
but if you send a direct meeting request from Outlook 2003, it looks like a
regular email.

CYACOMINI (ILG)

I am also having the same issue and have spent the last 3 weeks trying to
find a resolution.

Meeting requests arrive as plain text emails - no option to accept or
decline. This only happens with inbound meeting requests.

I thought this might have something to do with mis-configuration on the
external parties Exchange server - however, we are a Microsoft Gold Partner
and receive lots of meeting requests from folk at Microsoft, if anyone has
their servers set-up correctly it should be them I would have thought.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has managed to find a resolution for
this.

CYACOMINI (ILG)

Here is an example in plain text format - this is how they display in Outlook
2007. Identifiers removed.

When: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 3:00 PM-4:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US
& Canada).
Where: xxxxxxx

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Is that contact marked to receive only plain text emails? You may need to force rich text - right click on the address in the TO: window, select Outlook Properties, and use the dropdown to set it to send using RTF.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

How to ask a question:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

After furious head scratching, Angie asked:

| The sending party is using Outlook 2003. No, it's not from the same
| person. I can forward the Outlook 2003 meeting invites as iCalendars
| and they work, but if you send a direct meeting request from Outlook
| 2003, it looks like a regular email.
|
|| What version of Outlook is the sending party using? Is it always
|| from the same user? If not, what versions do the failed meeting
|| requests originate from?
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
|| After furious head scratching, Angie asked:
||| I have the full Office Enterprise 2007 version and when I receive a
||| meeting request, it looks lik an email, not a meeting request. When
||| I open it, there is no option to accept, decline or tenatively
||| accept. I have access to Outlook 2003, so I'm sending meeting
||| requests from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 to test this and its not
||| working. I am able to send out meeting requests from Outlook 2007
||| and they are received as meeting requests. Please help, I don't
||| know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

CYACOMINI (ILG)

There doesn't seem to be that option here. I can right-click the recipient
and select Outlook Properties but there are no opens for mail format at all.

Next to the Contacts button, there is an 'Actions' drop down menu but the
only available option under that is "sign in to instant messaging".

CYACOMINI (ILG)

Ok so I've discovered the reason that option is missing is because the
recipient is in the same Exchange organization as myself.

But still, when I try to do same for an external user, although the RTF
option is displayed - it's greyed out and not selectable.

Prashant

Milly Staples said:
Is that contact marked to receive only plain text emails? You may need to force rich text - right click on the address in the TO: window, select Outlook Properties, and use the dropdown to set it to send using RTF.

--Â
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

How to ask a question:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

After furious head scratching, Angie asked:

| The sending party is using Outlook 2003. No, it's not from the same
| person. I can forward the Outlook 2003 meeting invites as iCalendars
| and they work, but if you send a direct meeting request from Outlook
| 2003, it looks like a regular email.
|
|| What version of Outlook is the sending party using? Is it always
|| from the same user? If not, what versions do the failed meeting
|| requests originate from?
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
|| After furious head scratching, Angie asked:
||| I have the full Office Enterprise 2007 version and when I receive a
||| meeting request, it looks lik an email, not a meeting request. When
||| I open it, there is no option to accept, decline or tenatively
||| accept. I have access to Outlook 2003, so I'm sending meeting
||| requests from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 to test this and its not
||| working. I am able to send out meeting requests from Outlook 2007
||| and they are received as meeting requests. Please help, I don't
||| know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Prashant

Hi There,

I am also facing exactly same problem. I am using Outlook 2007 and when I
get an invite from a sender with Outlook 2003, I cannot see the accept,
reject buttons instead I see Reply, reply all , forward buttons.

Outlook 2007 is treating it as an email message rather than a meeting request.

Please help.

Thanks,

Prashant

Milly Staples said:
Is that contact marked to receive only plain text emails? You may need to force rich text - right click on the address in the TO: window, select Outlook Properties, and use the dropdown to set it to send using RTF.

--Â
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

How to ask a question:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

After furious head scratching, Angie asked:

| The sending party is using Outlook 2003. No, it's not from the same
| person. I can forward the Outlook 2003 meeting invites as iCalendars
| and they work, but if you send a direct meeting request from Outlook
| 2003, it looks like a regular email.
|
|| What version of Outlook is the sending party using? Is it always
|| from the same user? If not, what versions do the failed meeting
|| requests originate from?
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
|| After furious head scratching, Angie asked:
||| I have the full Office Enterprise 2007 version and when I receive a
||| meeting request, it looks lik an email, not a meeting request. When
||| I open it, there is no option to accept, decline or tenatively
||| accept. I have access to Outlook 2003, so I'm sending meeting
||| requests from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 to test this and its not
||| working. I am able to send out meeting requests from Outlook 2007
||| and they are received as meeting requests. Please help, I don't
||| know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Charles

I too have been experiencing this problem since purchasing Office 2007.
frankly i am annoyed this problem exists. Imaging how many others have seen
this an why hasn't there been a resolution added to office updates. If anyone
here knows of a solution, please advise!

Charles

Milly Staples said:
Is that contact marked to receive only plain text emails? You may need to force rich text - right click on the address in the TO: window, select Outlook Properties, and use the dropdown to set it to send using RTF.

--Â
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

How to ask a question:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

After furious head scratching, Angie asked:

| The sending party is using Outlook 2003. No, it's not from the same
| person. I can forward the Outlook 2003 meeting invites as iCalendars
| and they work, but if you send a direct meeting request from Outlook
| 2003, it looks like a regular email.
|
|| What version of Outlook is the sending party using? Is it always
|| from the same user? If not, what versions do the failed meeting
|| requests originate from?
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
|| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
|| After furious head scratching, Angie asked:
||| I have the full Office Enterprise 2007 version and when I receive a
||| meeting request, it looks lik an email, not a meeting request. When
||| I open it, there is no option to accept, decline or tenatively
||| accept. I have access to Outlook 2003, so I'm sending meeting
||| requests from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 to test this and its not
||| working. I am able to send out meeting requests from Outlook 2007
||| and they are received as meeting requests. Please help, I don't
||| know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

ewh410

The "greyed out" accept/decline, etc. problem also happens when a Mac user of
Mail sends a meeting request from iCal to an Outlook user. I wonder if the
two issues are related. Help!