Outlook Outlook 2003 - Hide When Minimized is no longer working

Reaction score
Outlook 2003 - Hide When Minimized is no longer working. This is one of the best features about 2003 IMHO. It has been working fine and all of the sudden Outlook is staying on the taskbar. When I looked at the option setting (right click the Outlook icon in the tray by the clock) "Hide When Minimized" is not checkmarked and will not take a checkmark. I select it and get a balloon saying the feature has been activated, but nothing happens and when I look at the options again - it is not checked off. I tried the "Detect and Repair" and this did not work either. Any ideas?

(Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.6568.8172) SP2- Part of MS Office Pro 2003 is running on XP Pro 5.1.2600.2180 SP2)

Reaction score
Checking the box changes a Registry value from 0 to 1. The Key is at
HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences
and is named MinToTray. Perhaps this key has been deleted?

EDIT: Worth a look but probably not relevant. I've just found that if the key gets deleted then Outlook simply makes a new one.

Reaction score
Min to tray for Outlook

This key is present and set as you suggested. Since you said Outlook creates a new entry if the key gets deleted, then I think I will delete it and let it create a new entry. I will see what happens. Thanks for the idea!

Reaction score
Okay, the register trick did not work. I deleted the key and it did not create a new key. I finally created the new key using a 1 for MinToTray On and it is still responding the same as my original post. Still looking for answers if anyone can offer any.
Thanks!

Ask a Question