Outlook 2003 fails on first start

Chris

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading our network from Office 97 & Outlook 2000
to Office 2003 on Windows 2000 SP4 machines. I have put together the
deployment package in Active Directory using the MSI file & an MST generated
from the custom installation wizard & an OPS file.

I've rolled this out to a test user & have found that when Outlook starts
for the first time, it runs the Windows installer service, but seems to roll
back (the progress bar decreases) once it gets to a certain point in the
configuration process & I get the error "The operation failed due to an
installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem
persists, please reinstall."

Well a restart just causes the same problem. A repair or reinstall also
results in the same thing. The event log says that

"Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature
'OfficeUserData', component '{C9AF9050-C8BE-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed.
The resource
'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\UserData' does not
exist."

followed by:

"Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 -- Configuration
failed."
& interestingly, the process completes under the local administrator &
domain administrator accounts. I'm guessing this has something to do with
the existing user profile, but can anyone give me any clues how to fix it
without blowing away the user's profile & starting again?

Thanks for reading this far.

Ingo

Hi Chris,

your discription below is exactly the way i wants deploy Office2003.
Already in the test-environment i receive also the same error messages
an found the same warnings in the eventlog.

The only way i worked around the problem, is measured to refresh the
userprofile by making the actual to the "Default User"-profil, but
that is not the method i want to torment thousands of productiv users.

So Chris, do you meanwhile find a simple way to fix it?

I watched out, that all affected test-pc are lost the "mail-icon" in
the control panel. I can emulate the missed function, by start
"\programs\common files\System\MSMAPI\1031\MLCFG32.CPL", but to erase
only the existing MAIL profil was not really helpfull. The result was
still the same.

Please, if you or any other can give me a hint, don't hesitate...

So long Ingo

Chris

Hi Ingo,

I'm afraid I haven't yet found a good fix for this one. I have found that it
depends on the particular installation whether it works or not, but haven't
pinpointed exactly what is the problem. I can say it doesn't appear to be
permissions-related as I've been conducting tests as domain administrator
with complete access to the file system & registry, but I'm not discounting
permissions yet.

Does anyone else have any information regarding this?

Robert Flaming [MSFT]

Perhaps the newsgroup microsoft.public.office.setup would be able to help.

--------------------
From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Outlook 2003 fails on first start
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:52:22 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.msi

Ingo said:
[...]

Robert Flaming

------------

confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Tim Owers

Maybe http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/43/215992.aspx may help...

.... i have finally found a solution for this problem.
The problem is related at 2 Office XP keys in the registry.
I have find that if in your machine you install OFFICE XP all works.
So i have investigating what changes do in the registry Office XP and
i have found these 2 crucial keys
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common]
"UserData"=dword:00000001
"OSAShortcut"=dword:00000001
"WebDriveUserData"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Search]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Search\Scopes]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Search\Scopes\My
Computer]
@="{3933B2EA-3EF1-11D3-8D06-005004838597}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Search\Scopes\My
Email]
@="{3933B2EC-3EF1-11D3-8D06-005004838597}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Search\Scopes\My
Projects]
@="{3933B2EB-3EF1-11D3-8D06-005004838597}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\Custom Dictionaries]
"1"="CUSTOM.DIC"

And all works !!!!!!!!!!!!

aknippen

This did not work for me. Has anyone figured out a way to fix thi
other than deleting the users profile or re-installing without a ms
file

-
aknippe

wnewton00

Are you using any redirected file locations? We are and were having th
same problem. If we delete the folder containing the workgrou
templates it installs fine and then we resynch the templates afterward
for the user

-
wnewton0

aknippen

We are not using any redirected file locations. Thanks for the ide
though

-
aknippe

Mhardie

I am running into a very similar problem to that described by Chris.
Did anyone ever solve this?

The error we get is also
MsiInstaller Event ID 1004
Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature

'OfficeUserData', component '{C9AF9050-C8BE-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}'
failed.The resource
'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\UserData'
does not exist.

and MsiInstaller Event ID 11729
Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 -- Configuration
failed.

mikepaf

I am not sure if this applies to your situation, but:

the problem seems be caused by the existance of the following file:

C:\Documents and Settings\-usersname-\Apllication
Data\Microsoft\Proof\CUSTOM.DIC

If this file does not exist or is move the installations work fine. The
Custom.dic file can then be copied back.

alternatively you can remove the features that try to install the MS
custom dictionary using an MST and OPS file.

RichardBenke

My experience with this problem is two-fold:

1) Trouble installing Outlook 2003 to begin with, but only when using
an unattended install with an MST file (at is seems, all of you are).
The installation progesses so far, then rolls back.

2) Once I manage to get Outlook 2003 installed (I'll get to that in a
minute), it will work for the user under which it was installed, but
when launched for any other user, mini-install gets so far, then
creates the error that this thread is addressing.

OK, problem # 1...

I told the installation to create a log, and in the log just before the
roll-back started there were several errors about being unable to update
files in %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent. So I
manually deleted all those files, whereupon Outlook installed without
any further problems.

Now Problem #2...

Even after Outlook was installed, it would work only for that user, and
Problem #2 remained - for any other user, a mini-setup would start, roll
back, then give the error that the installation failed due to a
problem.

Several people pointed out that the problem causes an entry in the
application event log that the resource
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\UserData" is missing. So I created
it manually (KEY: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0, TYPE: REG_DWORD,
VALUE: UserData, DATA: 0). That fixed the problem for that user.

I have a theory, but at this point it's only a theory. We're not
rolling out Outlook 2003 enterprise-wide, we're doing it by request. So
it may be a while before I can test this theory.

In any case, here it is: When you create the MST using the Custom
Installation Wizard, there's a section in the Outlook profile section
where there's a checkbox that says "Migrate User Settings". I had that
box unchecked. I'm wondering if checking it would solve the problem. It
seems that everyone who has posted to this thread has experienced this
problem when doing an Outlook UPGRADE, and I think that's a signficant
commonality.

Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Problem Solved!

I solved this problem. Here is how:

In this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

There were these files (note that I modified three file names with "(server)"):

02/21/2005 06:15 PM 26,255 (server)Exchange.FAV
10/19/2005 09:26 AM 4,889 (server)Exchange.NK2
02/23/2005 03:43 PM 3,072 (server)Exchange.srs
05/10/2005 02:19 PM 1,268 outcmd.dat
10/21/2005 12:43 PM 37,984 OutlPrnt
04/25/2005 08:41 AM 3,584 VIEWS.DAT
6 File(s) 77,052 bytes

I created a new folder there called "Temp". With Outlook closed, I moved all the above-mentioned files to into Temp.
Then started up Outlook with no errors!

Note that when I went back and looked in that same directory from which I had just moved those files there was this new set of files there:

===================================
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 2,560 Default Outlook Profile.srs
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 4,096 (server)Exchange.srs
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 6,821 (server)Exchange.xml
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 2,560 (server)Exchange~1.srs
10/27/2005 11:04 AM 2,560 (server)MailProfile.srs
10/27/2005 11:04 AM 3,560 (server)MailProfile.xml
10/27/2005 11:02 AM Temp
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 5,187 outcmd.dat
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 14,848 outitems.log
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 26,112 VbaProject.OTM
10/27/2005 11:02 AM 3,584 VIEWS.DAT
11 File(s) 71,888 bytes

===================================

Here's how I figured that out:

The user that was having the error, "Joe", already had a profile on the machine. Just to test it, I logged on as a user who by chance was never on that machine, "Mary". Windows created a new profile for Mary. I started Outook just fine. These two users had identical permissions and nothing else had changed. So, I figured it might be an issue with files in Joe's pre-existing profile (remember Mary's was created anew). Sure enough, when I moved the files out of the Outlook folder, the installation succeeded. Actually, I never saw any "installation" notices, Outlook just started up.

Hope this helps!

-Update: I happened to try my fix on another pc and it did not work. That is, simply moving those Outlook files did not solve it. I DID fix it by renaming that person's profile (username.old) then re-log that person in. When you do this, Windows creates a new profile. Now, with a brand new profile, Outlook runs just fine.
Based on this, I'm thinking there's something left over in the profile. Probably some settings within the installation wizard can change this. I'm not sure, some other guy in our office worked on that. I just had to mop up his mess :mad: .

By the way Richard, we had the "Migrate User Settings" checkbox CHECKED. So, so much for THAT theory! ;)
Don

Last edited:

danielbriggs

I figured out a way to easily solve this issue.

Using Regedit on the user profile that works after the install
(Usually the administrator account) Export the following key(s) to
file named "officefix.reg".

(Click File, Export. In Regedit)

'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\'

Go into each profile that is not working and double-click th
"officefix.reg" file you just created in the working profile. This wil
add all of the missing registry keys and data quickly and easily.

For whatever reason, the Office install does not create the keys in an
new user accounts. Only the installation account.

Hope this helps...

Dan Brigg

-
danielbrigg

Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have been working on an MST for an unattended install of Office 2003 and have run into this same problem. It never surfaced in the testing we had done, but the very first user where I used the MST file to install Office 2003 (after manually uninstalling Office 2000 via add-remove programs) could not get into Outlook 2003 and has this same event log error:

Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'OutlookUserData', component '{8ADD2C9C-C8B7-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\UserData' does not exist.

I did not find this thread until after I had already installed Office 2003 interactively and got them going (urgent project involving Sharepoint, etc). So, using the transform encounters the problem, but a simple interactive install does not. So, now I do not have my test case to try potential fixes on and I have been unable to reproduce the problem on my test box with a generic user account.

Has anyone has found a more definitive answer on the possible causes of this problem and a solution which does not require visiting the registry for every new user that uses the PC (if I understood the last post)? I am hesitant on using my custom install again without understanding what causes this problem...