Outlook 2003 - error (0x80070057)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook' started by Joe, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the
    following problem cropped up.

    When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error
    message:
    Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the
    operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.' (note: "Main" is
    my primary pop3/SMTP server).

    My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they
    have no idea.
    I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.

    It only affects *some* of the emails. So far, all of the affected items
    seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded
    Internet links.
    However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just
    fine. Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go
    through.

    Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?

    Thanks.

    Joe, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Joe

    Guest Guest

    You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
    scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp

    --
    Kathleen Orland

    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Joe

    Guest Guest

    Joe

    I have exactly the same problem - but without the Vista trigger. I hope
    someone has a suggestion.

    Guest, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Joe

    Guest Guest

    Thanks, but that didn't work. Registry changes are all there, but the log
    file is not created. The folder structure described is not created, so I
    created it manually--to no avail. A search of all files with "smtp" or "log"
    in the filename filas to show any such log file.

    Guest, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Joe

    Guest Guest

    Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file. It
    logs all activity, not just SMTP. Here is the snippet where I was trying to
    send:

    2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
    2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
    2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
    2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
    ffffffff): full items
    2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
    2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed

    I don't see anything helful there. Unfortunately, the error message in play
    seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no
    earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."

    Guest, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Joe

    Guest Guest

    I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
    need your Office CD.

    If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail profile
    (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll find
    instructions on how to do that here:
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

    Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
    --
    Kathleen Orland

    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Joe

    Guest Guest

    Thanks. I've tried those steps several times, to no effect. I have three
    email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the same
    way.

    My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number of
    people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
    however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
    seeking a solution.

    At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP specific,
    so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007
  8. Joe

    F.H. Muffman Guest

    Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual
    network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent
    that the server doesn't seem to agree with. That's probably the only way
    you'll get to the bottom of the problem.

    --
    f.h.

    F.H. Muffman, Jun 11, 2007
  9. Joe

    Guest Guest

    Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?

    What irritates me is the "Aw geez, something went wrong... sorry 'bout
    that..." nature of the error message. That's the way Macintosh does it!

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007
  10. Joe

    F.H. Muffman Guest

    There's no polite way to say this, so, I beg your forgiveness.

    If you don't know where to get a protocol sniffer, you're going to need a
    lot of help in setting it up, using it and interpreting the results. It's
    sorta like the whole 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it' thing.

    But, really, if your ISP says it's not their problem, I'd ask them 'How can
    you tell? What is Outlook sending to you that produces the error?' If they
    can't tell you, then, well, really, they can't know it isn't their problem.
    I mean, really, it comes down to this question: What is the command that
    Outlook sends to the SMTP server that produces the error? Knowing that, it
    might be possible to figure out what's wrong in Outlook. Or, honestly, it
    might not be. It might need to be one of those things that only Microsoft
    can figure out through tech support.

    --
    f.h.

    F.H. Muffman, Jun 12, 2007
  11. Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging? Do so, and send something out, verify that is is not received and then post the relevant portions of the error log that show the problem (will probably have a "failed" somewhere).

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    reading.

    After furious head scratching, Joe asked:

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Jun 12, 2007
  12. error 0x80070057 in vsta with outlook2003

    i can receive but not send - these answers above are incomplete and im not expert just someone who wants to use outlook 2003 to send with vista home premium

    looks like a microsoft problem

    can i have a simple answer to this problem
    is there a patch or a fix i can download or a setting to change?

    simon moorehead

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

    Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging?
    11-Jun-07

    Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging? Do so, and send something out,
    verify that is is not received and then post the relevant portions of
    the error log that show the problem (will probably have a "failed"
    somewhere)

    --=8
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook

    Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Al
    unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted withou
    reading. =2

    After furious head scratching, Joe asked:

    On Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:00 PM
    Joe wrote:

[...]

    On Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:25 AM
    KOrlan wrote:

    You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
    You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the
    scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp

    --
    Kathleen Orlan

    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    "Joe" wrote:

    On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:48 PM
    JW wrote:

    JoeI have exactly the same problem - but without the Vista trigger.
    Jo

    I have exactly the same problem - but without the Vista trigger. I hop
    someone has a suggestion

    "Joe" wrote:

    On Friday, June 08, 2007 7:23 PM
    Jo wrote:

    Thanks, but that didn't work.
    Thanks, but that didn't work. Registry changes are all there, but the log
    file is not created. The folder structure described is not created, so I
    created it manually--to no avail. A search of all files with "smtp" or "log"
    in the filename filas to show any such log file

    "K. Orland" wrote:

    On Friday, June 08, 2007 8:12 PM
    Jo wrote:

[...]

    "Joe" wrote:

    On Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:48 PM
    KOrlan wrote:

    I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely need
    I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
    need your Office CD.

    If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail profile
    (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll find
    instructions on how to do that here:
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

    Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
    --
    Kathleen Orland

    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    "Joe" wrote:

    On Monday, June 11, 2007 1:51 PM
    Jo wrote:

    Thanks. I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.
    Thanks. I've tried those steps several times, to no effect. I have three
    email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the same
    way.

    My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number of
    people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
    however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
    seeking a solution.

    At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP specific,
    so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.

    "K. Orland" wrote:

    On Monday, June 11, 2007 2:02 PM
    F.H. Muffman wrote:

    Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual network
    Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual
    network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent
    that the server doesn't seem to agree with. That's probably the only way
    you'll get to the bottom of the problem.

    --
    f.h.
    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    On Monday, June 11, 2007 5:40 PM
    Jo wrote:

    Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?
    Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?

    What irritates me is the "Aw geez, something went wrong... sorry 'bout
    that..." nature of the error message. That's the way Macintosh does it!

    "F.H. Muffman" wrote:

    On Monday, June 11, 2007 8:36 PM
    F.H. Muffman wrote:

[...]

    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    On Monday, June 11, 2007 11:00 PM
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

    Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging?
    Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging? Do so, and send something out, =
    verify that is is not received and then post the relevant portions of =
    the error log that show the problem (will probably have a "failed" =
    somewhere).

    --=81
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    reading. =20

    After furious head scratching, Joe asked:

    Task Parallelism in C# 4.0 with System.Threading.Tasks
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f8b-50cfd1a51577/task-parallelism-in-c-4.aspx

    simon moorehead, May 30, 2010
  13. Joe

    Duncan McC Guest

    Re: error 0x80070057 in vsta with outlook2003

    It's not a MS problem - Outlook 2003 works fine in Vista, any version.
    I've tested it on Vista Home Premium, Business and Ultimate.

    If you are getting errors on just some emails (seems one with
    attachments), the primary likely cause is your antivirus product. Turn
    it OFF for email everything - in and out (it doesn't need to be on, it's
    "real-time" scanning component will still trap virii).

    Please specify the exact error message you get, if any.

    If none of these help - then do what's already been suggested - turn on
    SMTP logging.

    Just to clarify, you have a POP email service?

    --
    Duncan.

    In article <>, simon moorehead
    says...