Outlook 2003: Animated Gifs won't animate anymore

Reaction score
Hello all,

I produce a small newsletter on basic electrical trouble-shooting, installations & safety. I've got a vast library of animated gifs collected from many resources and incorporate them into the newsletter freely. Lately, recipients have been emailing me expressing disappointment that the gifs don't animate anymore and why did I change the format. Frankly, I didn't think the little animated suckers were that popular. Whatever.
When I produce these newsletters, as I insert the animated gifs Outlook doesn't animate them in the draft, only after the newsletter is sent. I used to review them by viewing them via my sent email folder. I haven't reviewed them lately until the recent complaints. And they were correct. None of the animated gifs animate anymore. The gifs themselves animate fine in any other program. When I check the properties of the gifs in the sent folder section, I'm told that the gif format is not gif but Metafile. I've been through all of the options in Outlook and can't see a conflict, but that's not to say I'm not misinterpreting what the options mean. Is it possible that some of the recipients email programs don't allow for the gifs to animate and, therefore, Outlook doesn't animate them for me when they're reviewed in my sent email folder?

Please help me out here,

Dan

Ask a Question