Outlook 2002 Problems- Not Responding

Reaction score
I have had Outlook problems for the last week or so and have run out of options and would appreciate some assistance. I am running Outlook 2002 with SP3 on a pentium 4 running XP SP2.
A couple of weeks ago when I opened outlook at Outlook Today I got a message "This page cannot display the web page. Most likely cause - you are not connected to the internet/your website is encountering problems/there might be a typing error in the address...". I then switched to the Inbox and it came up and it was business as usual except that I couldnt access Outlook Today which was not a major inconvenience and I ignored it. Subsequently i uninstalled Norton Internet Security and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 7 and the problem has deteorated. I am still unable to access Outlook Today and get a message "Navigation to webpage was cancelled". When I switch to the Inbox or any other Outlook function (Contacts, Calendar, Sent etc), the application hangs for a minute or more before responding. When it finally responds that function works ok (though I have had instances of sending test emails to myself using different email addresses, the messages have cleared the outbox but not received) but if i try to use another outlook function, the process is repeated. It is driving me crazy!
There was a thread back in 2004 by Robert Sparnaaij that offered a number of suggestions to Outlook problems set out below -
1.. Try running scanpst.exe on your Personal Folder. By default
scanpst.exe can be found here;
C:program FilesCommon FilesSystemMSMAPI<locale ID>

2.. Try renaming outcmd.dat to .old and restart Outlook. All the Toolbars
will reset then. This is quite a common problem with Outlook . The default
location for this file is:
C:Documents and Settings%username%Application DataMicrosoftOutlook

3.. Try recreating the profile in Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show
Profiles...

4.. Try running Outlook with the /safe switch from your Start-> Run
window. The command line should look like this (check your path to
Outlook.exe);
"C:program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11Outlook.exe" /safe
When this works run Help-> Detect and Repair

5.. Start in safe mode again and disable individual add-ons in Tools->
Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced E-mail Options...-> button Add-In
Manager.../COM Add-ins...

I have tried each of the recommendations except 3. without success. I didnt understand this suggestion. In the last couple of days I have also had problems with Word and Excel. I can create a word document and seem to be able to use most functions but if I use the bullet points and numbering function it hangs and then dies. I dont know what it means but when Outlook is hanging, if I open TaskMgr, it shows two outlook tasks and if I right click on each one and go back to the process, one links to outlook.exe and the other lonks to iexplorer.exe. When it finally does respond, one of the Outlook tasks (the one linked to iexplorer.exe) drops out.
I am not very strong technically so any advice anyone can give needs to be reasonably simple. Any assistance with this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Fixed

If anyone is interested, I continued to worry the problem all week without success. Today I downloaded some software called Tuneup Utilities 2008, ran a Windows maintenance program called TuneUp RegisterClean and the problem has gone. I got to the stage where I wanted to get rid of Outlook but couldnt find a suitable replacement. Anyway as they say alls well that ends well.

Ask a Question