OT Will a search engine find this url?

micky

OT, but I can't find a group where it is on-T. The IE6 group hasn't
had a post for 3 months

Thursday, I found out when I got in the mail a glossy advertisement
for the service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car
6 months ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of
the url. It's like www.MickyMouse.fixmyCar.us .

And my home address is on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

I'm going to complain, get the page removed, on Monday, but I want to
know how annoyed I should be, and how strongly I should pose to them
the risk that they create for their customers.

And even if they remove the page, do you think archive.net, the
wayback machine, will have found it? If they had months, would they
find it?

A friend said it had to be registered to be found. If it's not
registered, how could the DNS find it? Especially siince it's the
high level name.

Thanks.

P.S. It's so stupid, because I don't need my address on the page. I
know where I live.

It's there as the heading for google map directions to the dealer, but
that's stupid too, because if I found the dealer to buy the car, I can
find him again.

Paul

micky said:
OT, but I can't find a group where it is on-T. The IE6 group hasn't
had a post for 3 months

Thursday, I found out when I got in the mail a glossy advertisement
for the service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car
6 months ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of
the url. It's like www.MickyMouse.fixmyCar.us .

<<snip>>

I'm having trouble getting "fixmyCar.us" to translate here. Maybe you're safe.

That would suggest, the response you're seeing, is different from the
one I'm getting. If this was happening to me, I might be tempted to use
the Wireshark packet sniffer, and collect a trace of the packets sent when
you enter that address in your browser, and the browser looks it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

DNS is pretty complicated, and more than one level of translation is going on.
It's even possible, for people with different geographic locations, to get
different answers. And that means, someone out here, may not be able to
see and reproduce the same things that you see on your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Paul

Char Jackson

<<snip>>

I'm having trouble getting "fixmyCar.us" to translate here. Maybe you're safe.

I tried nslookup using 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1, and 75.75.75.75 (Google,
Level 3, and Comcast DNS servers, respectively), and each of them
resolved "fixmycar.us" to 68.178.232.100. Trying to resolve the full
domain name, "www.MickyMouse.fixmyCar.us", was unsuccessful, but I
assume that one is made up.

micky

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot** that the ad they mailed me
contained the password for the webpage, so IIUC that means even if
google comes up with the webpage, it wlll still require a password,
which no one else will have.

I hope you, Paul, Char, Mayayana, and J.P. all don't feel I wasted too
much of your time.

**I only used the password once, then kept looking back at the page
for 4 days. I don't think I would have forgotten about the password
10 years ago.
I'm having trouble getting "fixmyCar.us" to translate here. Maybe you're safe.

I didn't expect anyone to look up part of it. That part was
actually servicemyFord.us .

I said "like" and didnt' give the actual url. I won't use my full
name on the net but assuming my name is MickyMouse, it was actually,
www.MickyMouse.servicemyFord.us .
or w ww.MickyMouse.servicemyFord.us . to make the punctuation easier
to read. It has 3 dots.

That would suggest, the response you're seeing, is different from the
one I'm getting. If this was happening to me, I might be tempted to use
the Wireshark packet sniffer, and collect a trace of the packets sent when
you enter that address in your browser, and the browser looks it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

I'm certainly glad to know about this.

i would go to this link and put in a complaint to the companie that owns the
server that thay have their site on ,,

https://support.godaddy.com/support/?ci=55146