robin

Randy Knobloch

robinb said:
windows update- gone
windows security-gone
windows virtual pc-gone
windows live mail-gone
and a whole lot more newsgroups-gone

The Microsoft News server as we knew it is now officially dead, save, perhaps a few stragglers.
Frankly, I don't miss the groups I was subscribed to in Outlook Express, I have cleaned out the
local data store and they are gone.

I don't see where MS would fit this news server on the Web discussion, perhaps they will, perhaps
they will not.

We shall see, for know, we have our little corner of the MS News server.

robinb

I guess they would fit it under Windows Defender but since they are phasing
out WD because it is incorporated in MSE I assume if you want to find out
about WD you would have to ask in Vista or Windows 7 forums on your browser
robin

Randy Knobloch

robinb said:
I guess they would fit it under Windows Defender but since they are phasing
out WD because it is incorporated in MSE I assume if you want to find out
about WD you would have to ask in Vista or Windows 7 forums on your browser

There is a new MSE engine update out as of today or late yesterday.
I have no links at the handy.

I don't know if WD is being assimilated with MSE, if this is the case, then this group
would be redundant. MSE is opt-in, WD is not, so whether this group will go or not
remains to be seen.

someone

I thought that WD was assimilated into MSE.

someone said:
I thought that WD was assimilated into MSE.

WD & MSE are still two differing stand-along MS Products and are updated
independently, with the new MSE Engine delivered today or yesterday, depending
on who's clock you read, may change the landscape somewhat, for now WD is
good to go.

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

Where did you get the idea that Windows Defender was being phased out?
Windows Defender is included in Vista and Windows 7 as part of the OS.
It can be downloaded for XP as an add-on.
Microsoft Security Essentials is an antimalware product that includes
the protection of Defender, but expands upon it. It is completely
optional. One is free to use any Security product that they desire for
protection against malware and may use Defender, too. Some other
antimalware products also disable Defender, just as MSE does, to avoid
conflicts.
In any event, I'm not aware of a specific forum that they plan to
direct people to for discussion of Defender should they choose to shut
down these newsgroups, too, but you can always post to the Answers
forums for Security related to the operating system in use.
-steve

Bill Sanderson

I wouldn't read too much into the engine release--the engine has been
changed a number of times. I think the general purpose is to keep up with
changes by the malware writers.