    do, would they easily tell that you're using a proxy?

    Any recommendations for a reliable proxy?

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Jun 24, 2013

  2. On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:37:55 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
    <> wrote:

    >Anybody know if Youtube/Google moderators can tell what country
    >you're from? I would guess that they can see your Internet address?
    >Is the only way to prevent that, by going through a proxy? But if you
    >do, would they easily tell that you're using a proxy?
    >
    >Any recommendations for a reliable proxy?
    >
    >Thanks.

    A VPN would stop them from knowing but of course they would know it
    was via a VPN.

    Set up a new browser installation (this might mean a new Windows
    installation) and never use it without a VPN if you don't want the NSA
    to figure out where you're really from.

    (And realize that what the NSA is doing isn't actually unusual, only
    the fuss about it is.)

    Loren Pechtel, Jun 25, 2013

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel hotmail.com> wrote:

    > A VPN would stop them from knowing but of course they would know it
    > was via a VPN.

    I read a bit about that. MOney Internet connection sucks for
    bandwidth right now. A VPN consumes bandwidth to help other users,
    right?

    Assuming that's true... I would rather pay a few dollars a month for
    something that doesn't involve overhead bandwidth.

    > (And realize that what the NSA is doing isn't actually unusual,
    > only the fuss about it is.)

    In certain areas our federal gov't acts technologically illiterate.
    So I wonder how it can keep up in any area.

    John Doe, Jun 25, 2013
  4. John Doe

    Paul Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody know if Youtube/Google moderators can tell what country
    > you're from? I would guess that they can see your Internet address?
    > Is the only way to prevent that, by going through a proxy? But if you
    > do, would they easily tell that you're using a proxy?
    >
    > Any recommendations for a reliable proxy?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't have an answer for you. This is what I've got
    on the topic, a paper I downloaded a while back.

    "Towards Street-Level Client-Independent IP Geolocation"

    https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/nsdi11/tech/full_papers/Wang_Yong.pdf

    And this site has this to say about it.

    http://www.i-programmer.info/news/8...-method-accurate-to-a-few-hundred-meters.html

    "The only defense is to use a proxy server but
    the technique can detect this and flag the fact
    that the user's location cannot be determined."

    So yes, they should be able to determine you're using a proxy.
    Why that should bother them, I don't know.

    You can try a tool like this. But it doesn't have any
    Flash widgets it tests with. With proxy in place, you'd
    try this and see where it locates you. I don't think
    Flash has any "magical powers" - if it was possible
    to do a traceroute perhaps, from your end... ?

    http://browserspy.dk/geolocation.php

    If I try "tracert google.com" in Command Prompt, my
    WAN address is in the trace. So all a web site needs
    to do, is install code on your computer that can do
    the equivalent of tracert. Now, if Flash could do that,
    we'd be away to the races.

    And if you check with a search engine, there are a ton of
    weirdos out there, working on this. All trying to figure
    out a way of running a traceroute, to snag your details.
    So yes, "unhiding users" appears to be a desired function
    in the software community.

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6598296/is-it-possible-to-send-an-icmp-echo-request-from-a-swf

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 25, 2013
  5. John Doe

    JJ Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:37:55 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody know if Youtube/Google moderators can tell what country
    > you're from? I would guess that they can see your Internet address?
    > Is the only way to prevent that, by going through a proxy? But if you
    > do, would they easily tell that you're using a proxy?
    >
    > Any recommendations for a reliable proxy?

    VPN, but it's not free.

    TOR or I2P, but you may not be able to choose the proxy location which is
    going to be used to access the website. Only random proxy.

    JJ, Jun 25, 2013
  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Correction...
    Like a follow-up poster mentioned, I was talking about Tor, not VPN.
    So my reply might have been confusing.

    John Doe, Jun 25, 2013
  7. On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 02:32:52 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
    <> wrote:

    >Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> A VPN would stop them from knowing but of course they would know it
    >> was via a VPN.

    >I read a bit about that. MOney Internet connection sucks for
    >bandwidth right now. A VPN consumes bandwidth to help other users,
    >right?

    No. You're mixing it up with TOR.

    Loren Pechtel, Jun 25, 2013
  8. John Doe

    Flasherly Guest

    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody know if Youtube/Google moderators can tell what country
    >>you're from? I would guess that they can see your Internet address?
    >>Is the only way to prevent that, by going through a proxy? But if you
    >>do, would they easily tell that you're using a proxy?

    You may get Google's "Sorry" page. I do when Google can't see an
    absolute address. 'We're so sorry,' but I'm even sadder since leaving
    Google sometime before getting into suspicious categories, like
    someone echoing out of Moscow, which I do now while waiting for due
    responsibility taken, to cut up the Internet into little despotic
    realms as God, the NSA, and the Republic of Kenya intends.

    --
    Best not reply if you're seriously like an infidel.

    Flasherly, Jun 25, 2013
  9. John Doe

    s|b Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:37:55 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:

    > Anybody know if Youtube/Google moderators can tell what country
    > you're from? I would guess that they can see your Internet address?
    > Is the only way to prevent that, by going through a proxy? But if you
    > do, would they easily tell that you're using a proxy?
    >
    > Any recommendations for a reliable proxy?

    Use TorBrowser? Or a bootable CD-ROM with Tails?

    --
    s|b

    s|b, Jun 25, 2013
  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I don't think anybody needs your Internet address to know who you
    are, Flasherly.

    John Doe, Jun 26, 2013
  11. John Doe

    Flasherly Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:31:52 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
    <> wrote:

    >I don't think anybody needs your Internet address to know who you
    >are, Flasherly.

    Well, you do know most don't and wouldn't care about who's tracking
    their facebook reality from such as an Android handheld. In terms of
    other means, less likely than Google Chrome on a PC, though, that
    might presuppose familiar cookie trackers, actually, which are
    becoming obsolete in ongoing terms of CSS programming subsets for
    HTML5. But what's really burning my butt, is why you even bother
    screwing with watch-dog moderatored forum tactics, especially if
    they're locking in on you through joint-venture IT/NSA resources, when
    you can always come here and let me squeeze the free space between
    your ears. Gee whiz, and that's for free, even. Am I not fun enough?

    Flasherly, Jun 26, 2013
  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    What I've read so far suggests that a VPN will do well for making
    multiple Youtube accounts for posting comments, as censorship
    requires.

    Any recommendations? I'm not very concerned about privacy in the
    flow of data or downloading copyrighted material. One other thing
    that looks potentially fun is maybe using a betting site to watch
    an otherwise unavailable sporting event, on a website that I don't
    have access to now (probably to do with being in the U.S.).

    --
    Thanks to the replies.

    John Doe, Jun 26, 2013
  13. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    John Doe, Jun 26, 2013
  14. John Doe

    JJ Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:17:08 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:
    > https://www.ibvpn.com/billing/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1
    >
    > "Important! Do NOT use any proxy or VPN solution while you make the
    > order, otherwise it will be automatically marked as fraud"
    >
    > How can they tell?

    Because it's easy to track the company that provide an IP.

    JJ, Jun 26, 2013
  15. On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:17:08 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
    <> wrote:

    >https://www.ibvpn.com/billing/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1
    >
    >"Important! Do NOT use any proxy or VPN solution while you make the
    >order, otherwise it will be automatically marked as fraud"
    >
    >How can they tell?

    Easy enough, they know the IPs of the commerical VPN providers.

    Loren Pechtel, Jun 27, 2013
  16. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    JJ <duh nah.meh> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:

    >> https://www.ibvpn.com/billing/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1
    >>
    >> "Important! Do NOT use any proxy or VPN solution while you make
    >> the order, otherwise it will be automatically marked as fraud"
    >>
    >> How can they tell?

    > Because it's easy to track the company that provide an IP.

    Understood. So how do VPNs get away with fooling entertainment
    content providers into thinking that the request is coming from the
    same country?

    John Doe, Jun 27, 2013
  17. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    In other words... Why don't entertainment content providers ban all
    VPNs?

    John Doe, Jun 27, 2013
  18. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    John Doe, Jun 27, 2013
  19. John Doe

    JJ Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 04:52:42 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:
    > Understood. So how do VPNs get away with fooling entertainment
    > content providers into thinking that the request is coming from the
    > same country?

    They're not fooling. VPN providers can either rent dedicated servers or
    actually have a branch office (with servers) in other countries. They'll
    simply redirect requests to those servers.

    > http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/testing-five-vpns-thatll-get-you-back-on-
    > youtube-facebook-in-china-62115910.htm
    >
    > "the TV-streaming service Hulu is a no-go as it's blocked all VPNs"
    >
    >> In other words... Why don't entertainment content providers ban all
    >> VPNs?

    That's their policy, not us, as consumers. The only thing that make them ban
    a VPN provider is because it's been used mostly for hackings/pishings (by
    their customers), and the provider doesn't take any action even though
    complaints have been reported.

    JJ, Jun 27, 2013
  20. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    JJ <duh nah.meh> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:

    >> Understood. So how do VPNs get away with fooling entertainment
    >> content providers into thinking that the request is coming from
    >> the same country?

    Not that it matters, but I didn't understand the answer to that,
    either.

    >> http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/testing-...ack-on-youtube-facebook-in-china-62115910.htm
    >>
    >> "the TV-streaming service Hulu is a no-go as it's blocked all
    >> VPNs"
    >>
    >> In other words... Why don't entertainment content providers ban
    >> all VPNs?

    > That's their policy, not us, as consumers. The only thing that
    > make them ban a VPN provider is because it's been used mostly
    > for hackings/pishings (by their customers), and the provider
    > doesn't take any action even though complaints have reported.

    Huh?

    Since Hulu is an entertainment content provider, the apparent
    reason they ban VPNs (assuming it's true) is because VPNs are
    commonly used to thwart their geography-based media protection
    scheme.

    John Doe, Jun 27, 2013