Android Oreo is now official.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Quick breakdown of new features.

• Accessibility button. Allows you to quickly access from the navigation bar accessibility features, like magnification, and functionality within accessibility services, like Select to Speak.

• Accessibility volume. Accessibility services can optimize the audio experience for users with disabilities.

• Adaptive icons. Developers can now provide a full-bleed square shaped icon and OEMs will mask the icon to ensure intra-device consistency.

• Ambient screen. Highlights the incoming notification with larger font, highlighted app name and immediate access to actions.

• Background execution limits. More control over how apps run in the background for better overall system performance.

• Background location limits. Limits the frequency of location updates in the background for better overall system health.

• Deep color. Enables applications to render richer visual content with more vibrant colors and subtler gradients. Supports full color management which allows applications to render images in the format and quality they were intended.

• Downloadable fonts. Applications no longer need to bundle custom fonts, which helps reduce their size.

• Install unknown apps. Hostile downloader apps can't operate without permission; users now permit the installation of APKs per-source.

• Integrated printing support. Compatible with all Mopria-certified printers, which make up 97% of printers sold worldwide.

• Linkable files. API that allows you to share files across the Internet via web links.

• Native C/C++ API for high-performance audio. API function for high-performance audio including Native C/C++ audio API.

• Notification categories. More granular and consistent control over which notifications can appear and how intrusive they are.

• Notification snoozing. Lets users hide notifications for a period of time, similar to Inbox snoozing.

• Project Treble. The biggest change to the foundations of Android to date: a modular architecture that makes it easier and faster for hardware makers to deliver Android updates.

• TextView autosizing. Developers can now let the size of their text expand or contract automatically based on the size and characteristics of the TextView, making it much easier to optimize the text size on different screens or with dynamic content.

• Tooltips. Support for tooltips (small popup windows with descriptive text) for views and menu items.

• Wi-Fi Assistant. Auto-connects you to high quality open WiFi and secures your connection with a VPN back to Google.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Been running the beta on my 6P and updated to the official build last night. I do really like it tbh, everything about it is just a pleasure to use. So much so that I might go back to the 6P full time, even if its just to see how the battery life is.

I don't dare wonder how long it will take Samsung to update my S7E to 8.0 mind you.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks pretty :D. Does it feel like a big change? I like the new notification popups, that'll be handy for e-mails.

I don't dare wonder how long it will take Samsung to update my S7E to 8.0 mind you.....

About a year no doubt :cry:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its not too different from Nougat. Just feels nicer and looks cleaner.

Ask a Question