OT Google requires sign-in to use the UseNet archive?

John Doe

I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the
archive, for data collection.

Man-wai Chang

http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&s...ocnGBQ&usg=AFQjCNG0A5VK3xr6aeRFOGY43QmIYSHcVw

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

Man-wai Chang

I suppose that is so Google can easily track our usage of the

I forgot that Google also offers disposable email addresses.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.38.4
^ ^ 20:53:01 up 6 days 54 min 1 user load average: 1.01 1.06 1.05
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):

Jon Danniken

Man-wai Chang said:
I forgot that Google also offers disposable email addresses.

Not so disposable now that they require verification with a working
cellphone number.

Jon

John Doe

Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

I've never needed an account to use this. This is what
I use, to (try to) search the USENET archives.

http://groups.google.com/

What URL are you using ?

Recently, I had signed into YouTube. Apparently they are requiring
a Google account now. Maybe it had something to do with that.
Surging Google's copy of the UseNet archive would not send me to
the archive search results page, instead it went to a Google sign
in page. After I provided the e-mail address (strangely, it had
entered my password but not my e-mail address), I was able to get
to the search results just fine. So apparently it was not a
mirage. Maybe that had something to do with having signed into
YouTube through Google.

Currently, the archive appears to be working/malfunctioning normally
hear.

Thanks to the replies.

Man-wai Chang

Not so disposable now that they require verification with a working
cellphone number.

How about Yahoo?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.38.4
^ ^ 16:54:02 up 6 days 20:55 1 user load average: 1.28 1.14 1.11
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):

Jon Danniken

Man-wai Chang said:
How about Yahoo?

I haven't been prompted to use a RL connection with yahoo. I do know that
at one time they requested you provide an alternate email address, but you
can use your yahoo one with that.

Jon

Nil

Recently, I had signed into YouTube. Apparently they are requiring
a Google account now. Maybe it had something to do with that.
Surging Google's copy of the UseNet archive would not send me to
the archive search results page, instead it went to a Google sign
in page. After I provided the e-mail address (strangely, it had
entered my password but not my e-mail address), I was able to get
to the search results just fine. So apparently it was not a
mirage. Maybe that had something to do with having signed into
YouTube through Google.

You do not need a Google account to view google groups, only to post.
It's always been that way.

You do not need a Google account to view Youtube. It's always been that
way.

John Doe

Nil said:
John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

You do not need a Google account to view google groups,

I wasn't talking about viewing google groups, I was talking about
searching Google's copy of the UseNet archive.
You do not need a Google account to view Youtube.

I said "signed into YouTube".

Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem, Boy.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: OT Google requires sign-in to use the UseNet archive?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 20:55:13 -0400

Nil

I wasn't talking about viewing google groups, I was talking about
searching Google's copy of the UseNet archive.

You do not need a Google account to search the archives, either. It has
always been this way. Nothing has changed in that regard.
I said "signed into YouTube".

That doesn't make good sense. If you're trying to say that you need a
Google account to sign into Youtube, that's incorrect - you do no. Nor
do you need one for a new account. It has always been that way. Nothing
has changed in that regard.
Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem, Boy.

Clearly you have a variety of problems, little lady.

John Doe

You do not need a Google account to search the archives, either.

My experience was an anomaly, Boy, cope with it. I've been
troubleshooting PC stuff probably since before you were born.
That doesn't make good sense. If you're trying to say that you
need a Google account to sign into Youtube, that's incorrect

Maybe you don't in Germany, Boy, but now we do in the United
States.

Try doing a little research before you look stupid.

Very easily found on YouTube's website...

"Please review the Google Terms of Service and YouTube Terms of
Use below"

"By clicking 'I accept' below you are agreeing to the YouTube
Terms of Use, Google Terms of Service..."

"You now need to use your Google Account password when signing
into your YouTube Account."

"YouTube is no longer a stand-alone account. YouTube becomes a
service attached to the Google Account."

If you are trolling for answers, Boy, you're welcome.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 21:47:03 -0400

Nil

My experience was an anomaly,

Apparently so, because your claim is wrong. You do not need a Google
account to search Google Groups, nor do you need one to sign into
Youtube.
Boy, cope with it. I've been troubleshooting PC stuff probably
since before you were born.

And breaking them in the process, it seems.
Maybe you don't in Germany, Boy, but now we do in the United
States.

I have no idea what's going on in Germany, and I doubt it's relevant
to this issue.
Try doing a little research before you look stupid.

Try searching Google Groups without being signed into Google.
Very easily found on YouTube's website...

Yes, it was:

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

"In order to access some features of the Service, you will have to
create a YouTube or Google account."

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=161805

"If you don’t have a Google Account, a YouTube/Google Account
creation page will load with the Email field pre-populated. Verify
that this is the email address you’d like to use for your new Google
Account, choose a password, enter the verification code, and click
Create my new account! You should receive a confirmation email
within a few minutes"

You're plain wrong. It's no big thing to be wrong sometimes. No need
to puff yourself up like a blowfish, just admit it and move on.

John Doe

A persistent ****turd (apparently from Germany) who simply refuses
to acknowledge the fact that you need a Google account to sign
into YouTube.
From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 22:44:43 -0400

[...]

You have been proven wrong yet again. Get over it. Move on.

Michael Black

I wasn't talking about viewing google groups, I was talking about
searching Google's copy of the UseNet archive.
Google is the Usenet archive.

Some sites and/or people archived some material, but it was never
wholesale until dejanews came along in 95 or 96, at which point they
started archiving from that point on. When they failed, google bought up
the archive, and at that point was able to add in messages from what
somehad been archiving.

There is no other copy of that archive google keeps.

Michael

Michael Black

My experience was an anomaly, Boy, cope with it. I've been
troubleshooting PC stuff probably since before you were born.
Not likely. Someone would have to be 36, and given IBM's corruption of
"PC" it might be as young as 30. Usually when people boast like that, they
aren't actually as oldtimer as others. The wording gives it away.

Michael

Michael Black

A persistent ****turd (apparently from Germany) who simply refuses
to acknowledge the fact that you need a Google account to sign
into YouTube.
You just revealed yourself. You think he's in Germany because he's
posting from a German newssever? You are clueless, individual.net
is in Germany, but it's a very well known server that people can access
from anywhere. You do have to get an account, and I can no longer
remember if they changed things so no new accounts are issued. There was
some change at some point.

If you didn't know about it, then that is an indicator that you aren't
what you claim to be.

Michael

Michael Black

Not so disposable now that they require verification with a working
cellphone number.
They don't.

There is the option to do that, I thought specifically for gmail. Since
people let their email pile up at gmail, and since they use gmail for
everything, it can be a great source of information about someone, the ads
along the side may even help to point to useful information. Hence some
may find the need for additional security useful, especially the types
that will fall for email phishing.

Michael

John Doe

Michael Black said:
John Doe wrote:
Google is the Usenet archive.

Google is a company, Mickey, Google maintains a public copy of
UseNet posts.
Some sites and/or people archived some material, but it was
never wholesale until dejanews came along in 95 or 96,

Any organization can keep a copy of UseNet posts. The fact that
DejaNews kept a public copy does not exclude any other business or
individual from keeping a private copy of UseNet posts.
at which point they started archiving from that point on. When
they failed,

You think that DejaNews failed because they sold their copy of
UseNet posts to Google, Mickey? If they did not declare
bankruptcy, then typically they are not considered to have failed.

Or maybe it's a language problem.
google bought up the archive, and at that point was able to add
in messages from what somehad been archiving.

Sounds like wikishit gibberish to me, Mickey.
There is no other copy of that archive google keeps.

Says who, Mickey? Our United States government almost certainly
keeps at least one copy of UseNet posts. I would also bet that
some big corporations/individuals keep copies, probably Microsoft
for one. In any case, you have no way of knowing that other copies
do not exist, and nothing technical or legal prevents that.