Windows XP Opinions please - do you think we should get a new computer

Reaction score
Right then - we've had this Dell computer for about 5 years - it's been great but recently, it was going slower and slower - so we tried to 'defrag' it ourselves, and it was a bit better but finally, the other week we took it to our local computer shop. The man said he took it right back to the beginning and then re-installed all our pictures and stuff - and it's going great - but he says we should really get a new computer and he can do us one for £300. Just as good as our with 'everything' on it. He said this old one, will probably keep going wrong. (Oh, I forgot, he also put some more memory in it). Do you think we should get a new one - or shoudl we get a lap top in addition to this one ? Or what ?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It depends what you are gonna get for your £300.

Some people on here could build you a PC thats alot lot faster for about £200, as things are pretty cheap to buy at the moment.

Really you need to think, what you're going to be using it for? If yours has been cleaned out and its fine then keep it.

A laptop is just a smaller more exspensive PC, if you need something that you can carry around then get one.

If you can find out whats going to be in your new PC then tell us and we'll tell you if its a good price or not.

Oh and welcome to PCReview. :wave:

Reaction score
Thanks Waynos - this is a lovely friendly forum - I think I'll put another thread in the introductions forum, just to be polite.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You're very welcome.

Have a look here,

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ranges.html?t=pc&c=home

Just ot give you somewhere to start and compare prices, unless it says they come without a keyboard, mouse, monitor and operating system as well such as XP or Vista.

Other places that folks like to use on here include,

Aria.co.uk - cheap.
OCUK - for the entusiast.
Scan.co.uk - Average
Ebuyer - Average.

Also Bob or Judy could always considering building one, its alot of fun and so easy, it like big lego and each part only goes in one place anyway so you can't really go wrong, its a fair bit cheaper and now you're here so help is never far away. Plus its a good way to learn about your PC and what each bit does, yay fun.

Reaction score
Wayno !! Building a computer !!! When we couldn't even get rid of that little blue error message !! It'd be an achievement tho, wouldn't it ? Wait while I tell the grand kids .....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If you've just had your machine sorted out at the Computer Shop, that will have cost you money. You say that it is now running fine. You need to ask yourself " will a new machine do significantly more than your old machine?" Let's face it, most people who are not technical, only use about 10% of a computer's capability anyway. :nod: Do you really need "everything"?

Not a lot of point in having a super duper new rig which is doing nothing you couln't do before. I would stick to the "old" one at the moment and get your money's worth. If it all collapses in a heap, then, yes, get a new one.

Or if you feel like building one yourself................ :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thinking about things..... if your current computer is working well there's no reason it should go wrong.

I think whoever fixed your current machine has steered you a wrong 'un there, they maybe just angling for a sale.

Having said that, if your machine is five years old, as WF has pointed out, they're cheap at the moment so a new one would probably be a good idea.

Which justifies my somewhat succint answer in the above post ;)

Ask a Question