OpenGL Installation error please help

Reaction score
HI EVERYBODY! I TRIED TO INSTALL OPENGL 1.0.0.118. IT WAS FOR WINDOWS 98 SO I RAN IT IN COMPATIBLE MODE FOR WIN98(I HAVE WIN XP). IT ALL WENT WELL, IT EXTRACTED SOME FILES ON MY COMPUTER, THEN IT WENT TO THE INSTALLATION. JUST WHEN THE INSTALLATION WAS ABOUT TO START, I RECEIVED AN ERROR: Could not load the DLL library D:\Program Files\GLSetup\GLMatch.dll The specified procedure could not be found. I CHECKED, AND THE FILE WAS THERE, AND ALL THE FILES HAD THEIR NAME CORRECT. PLEASE HELP ME. P.S.: I DONT HAVE INTERNET ON MY COMPUTER, I HAVE THIS SETUP FROM A FRIEND. I AM WRITING NOW FROM MY PHONE(I HAVE INTERNET ON PHONE).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Alex, welcome to the forums.

Please don't type in capitals as it makes it very hard to read ;)

What do you need to install OpenGL for? The required DLL's should come with any game that uses it (I'm guessing it's an old game?) and the graphics drivers, so there's no need to install them manually. Can you explain a little bit more information on the situation, and we'll see what we can do :).

Reaction score
I am sorry about the capitals. Well i don't know too much about OpenGL. But a lot of games need OpenGL. My friend gave me Alone In The Dark, wich came with an OpenGL setup, and the things above happened. Yes, indeed most games have their own dll's, but many games need OpenGL. I have many such games and i want to try them out. Wat do i have to do to have OpenGL installed? I also have a folder wich contains some files(glu.dll, opengl.dll, glu.lib, i will give you the complete list later, now I am on a rush). Where do I have to put these files, in order for my games to work? I may sound stupid, and correct me if i said something stupid, but i really need your help. Thanks in advance.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Hi Alex. Have a look at this Link for a better understanding of Opengl.

If you are running Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista, the OpenGL library has already been installed on your system.

Remember that GL is a system component on Windows. DO NOT modify or copy OpenGL32.dll from one OS to another. The filename is OpenGL32.dll and is either in WINDOWS\SYSTEM, WINNT\SYSTEM32 or WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. This also means that you do not have to ship a copy of the library with your application since it will already be available on the system.

The standard Windows OpenGL32.dll library alone will not provide you with hardware acceleration for OpenGL. In order to get hardware acceleration, you will need to install the latest drivers for your graphics card. The second reason to install new drivers is to have the latest version of GL on your system (the max version supported by your GPU):

Reaction score
Okay, so i need to update my driver, but i don't have internet. But i have some OpenGL files: gl.h; glaux.h; glu.h; opengl32.lib; glu32.lib; glaux.lib; glu32.dll and opengl32.dll are in the windows folder. But where do i have to place the lib and the h files, because the only way i see, is to install them manualy. I don't need OpenGL for programming, i just need it to run some games.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
alex97 said:
Okay, so i need to update my driver, but i don't have internet. But i have some OpenGL files: gl.h; glaux.h; glu.h; opengl32.lib; glu32.lib; glaux.lib; glu32.dll and opengl32.dll are in the windows folder. But where do i have to place the lib and the h files, because the only way i see, is to install them manualy. I don't need OpenGL for programming, i just need it to run some games.

Without the internet you are pretty screwed when it comes to updating your drivers etc.

As for those OpenGl files. read the quote below. It can't be anymore explanitory than that. Emphasis on the words DO NOT

Remember that GL is a system component on Windows. DO NOT modify or copy OpenGL32.dll from one OS to another. The filename is OpenGL32.dll and is either in WINDOWS\SYSTEM, WINNT\SYSTEM32 or WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. This also means that you do not have to ship a copy of the library with your application since it will already be available on the system.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks i will take internet with modem, thanks for your patience. Case closed.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
alex97 said:
Okay, thanks i will take internet with modem, thanks for your patience. Case closed.

No worries Alex. I am sure once you have everything up to date you will be fine...

Ask a Question