Open Subfolder

Sietse Fliege

Open Subfolder
for Windows 9X, NT4, 2K, ME, or XP and for Mac OS X 10.1 or later

Oldie (-from 2000-, but I did not know it.

"Open Subfolder is a contextual menu extension for Windows which adds
the ability to open a folder located inside of the currently selected
folder.

To use the extension, select a folder and open the contextual menu for
it. If the selected folder contains one or more folders, these folders
will be listed in a submenu attached to a new menu item in the
contextual menu entitled "Open Subfolder". In addition, if those folders
listed also contain folders, their menu items will also have submenus
attached containing a list of folders contained within them. If you
select one of those menu items, the folder with that name will be opened
on the desktop."

http://www.bubblepop.com/opensubfolder/

Doc

Open Subfolder
for Windows 9X, NT4, 2K, ME, or XP and for Mac OS X 10.1 or later

If you
select one of those menu items, the folder with that name will be opened
on the desktop."

Does the program allow you to choose which file manager opens the folder ??
or does it simply open with Explorer ?

Franklin

Oldie (-from 2000-, but I did not know it.

"Open Subfolder is a contextual menu extension for Windows which
adds the ability to open a folder located inside of the
currently selected folder.

To use the extension, select a folder and open the contextual
menu for it. If the selected folder contains one or more
folders, these folders will be listed in a submenu attached to a
new menu item in the contextual menu entitled "Open Subfolder".
In addition, if those folders listed also contain folders, their
menu items will also have submenus attached containing a list of
folders contained within them. If you select one of those menu
items, the folder with that name will be opened on the desktop."

http://www.bubblepop.com/opensubfolder/

This reminds me of KlikADir.

Lou recently mentioned KlikADir (and there is also miniKAD which is
probably better) in a crossposted thread here "Search tool with
multiple directory definitions".

I checked it out and kept it because it's a real sweetie.

http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip

Susan Bugher

Franklin said:
This reminds me of KlikADir.

Lou recently mentioned KlikADir (and there is also miniKAD which is
probably better) in a crossposted thread here "Search tool with
multiple directory definitions".

I checked it out and kept it because it's a real sweetie.

http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip

I haven't been able to get to that site for a while now. Did you have
better luck?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Thank you Al. I'm wondering *mostly* about the site but am grateful for
those URLs. Otterdad had a great site with a number of hard to find apps
- I've been hoping against hope that the site would reappear. Probably
time to start looking for new DL links. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Vrodok the Troll

Once Upon A Time (on Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:14:59 -0500), in alt.comp.freeware,
by way of Message-id said:
I haven't been able to get to that site for a while now. Did you have
better luck?

Susan

Apparently (as you discovered first), 'http://otterdad.dynip.com/' does not
exist :-(

Sietse Fliege

Doc said:
Does the program allow you to choose which file manager opens the
folder ?? or does it simply open with Explorer ?

It opens with Explorer only. Nothing configurable about it.
It just puts a dll in its folder and registers the shell extension.
When started from the context menu in e.g. XYPlorer (the former
TrackerV3) it also opens with Explorer.
Either Explorer is hard coded or the default file manager is used, but I
never tried having a file manager other than Explorer as default.

Sietse Fliege

Franklin said:
This reminds me of KlikADir.

Lou recently mentioned KlikADir (and there is also miniKAD which is
probably better) in a crossposted thread here "Search tool with
multiple directory definitions".

I checked it out and kept it because it's a real sweetie.

http://otterdad.dynip.com/filez/freeware/DISKUTIL/kad156.zip

In another post you mentioned this link, which actually works for me! :)
http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/kaddesc.html
I don't know if Susan has tried this?

Open Subfolder differs in that it is used from Explorer's context menu,
so it can be handier when you're already somewhere in a nest of
subfolders and want to start from there drilling down deeper.

Yes, I used to use Klik-A-Dir, or rather the MiniKAD version (and have
posted about it before) and would still be using it if I had not changed
to use ShortPopup instead.
ShortPopup is more versitile and more configurable, but is also harder
to configure and it has quirks, so I guess far more people would prefer
Klik-A-Dir/MiniKAD.
Anyway: ShortPopup can be downloaded from here:
http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ShortPopUp/index.html

There used to be a page at modzine.net with a notes on its usage.
You now need to use the Wayback Machine:
<http://web.archive.org/web/20030418181343/http://www.modzine.net/magazi
ne.php?request=Article&issueid=3&articleid=d>

Franklin

Thank you Al. I'm wondering *mostly* about the site but am
grateful for those URLs. Otterdad had a great site with a number
of hard to find apps - I've been hoping against hope that the
site would reappear. Probably time to start looking for new DL
links. . .

Susan, I never knew Otterdad's site but is this anything to do with
him?

http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/

Franklin

Yes, I used to use Klik-A-Dir, or rather the MiniKAD version
(and have posted about it before) and would still be using it if
I had not changed to use ShortPopup instead.
ShortPopup is more versitile and more configurable, but is also
harder to configure and it has quirks, so I guess far more
people would prefer Klik-A-Dir/MiniKAD.

I took a look at ShortPopUp and it does not seem vastly different
from regulars toolbars on the taskbar. I have some folders with
shortcuts I use regularly and I have made the root folder of my
shortcuts into a toobar that is squashed up so that it has to
function like a popup menu.

Of course I see ShortPopUp has a lot of parameters but I am not
sure they add up a great deal of benefit unless I am overlooking
one or two key parms.

I can't remember properly (???) but isn't there a freeware 'lite'
version of TrueLaunchBar well hidden on the TrueLaunchBar website?
http://www.truelaunchbar.com/ I may be mistaken.

Susan Bugher

Franklin said:
On 17 Feb 2006, Susan Bugher wrote:
Susan, I never knew Otterdad's site but is this anything to do with
him?

http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/

Nope.

Otter Dad's Freeware Archive
http://www.nettally.com/waldoe/freeware/

The good news is that Otter Dad's site is back. :) The BAD news is that
the downloads aren't. :(

I live in hope. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Frank Bohan

Al Klein said:
456 files for download. Did that get added after you looked? Or did
you miss it among the visual clutter?

<quote> 20 new programs added 06-20-98 </quote>

Has anyone got a time machine?

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Free the Indianapolis 500.

Franklin

In another post you mentioned this link, which actually works
for me! :) http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/kaddesc.html
I don't know if Susan has tried this?

Sietse, I think that was a one-off ...

I couldn't find KlikADir for myself in Lou's link but I found it at
Angelfire.

I later referred someone to KlikADir and used Lou's original link
'cos the original site is usually best. Didn't realise it seems
down.

Franklin

In another post you mentioned this link, which actually works
for me! :) http://www.angelfire.com/in/honysoft/kaddesc.html

Sietse

Yes it works but That's my error! Sorry for the confusion.

I saw Lou's original posting,
went to try KlikADir
found I couldn't download from the link given,
located the file at Angelfire
mentiond it to someone else loking for it.

Then when I referred to it I went back to Lou's link

Sietse Fliege

Franklin said:
Sietse

Yes it works but That's my error! Sorry for the confusion.

I saw Lou's original posting,
went to try KlikADir
found I couldn't download from the link given,
located the file at Angelfire
mentiond it to someone else loking for it.

Then when I referred to it I went back to Lou's link

Yes, this is exactly what I thought that happened.
No problem. :)

Sietse Fliege

Franklin said:
I took a look at ShortPopUp and it does not seem vastly different
from regulars toolbars on the taskbar. I have some folders with
shortcuts I use regularly and I have made the root folder of my
shortcuts into a toobar that is squashed up so that it has to
function like a popup menu.

Of course I see ShortPopUp has a lot of parameters but I am not
sure they add up a great deal of benefit unless I am overlooking
one or two key parms.

I find that ShortPopup comes in handy in showing me the disk structure
(files, folders) on the fly in popup menu's in various ways.
Handy commandline flags are : -onlyfolders and -showonly [extensions]

-onlyfolders enables you to have a popup menu that works almost exactly
the same as Klik-A-Dir/miniKAD.
I.e. have a popup menu of favorite folders and then, when you select an
item (folder), it shows subfolders on the fly, you select a
subfolder..., etc.
Great to start Explorer in (a nested subfolder of) some favorite folder.

-showonly [extensions] lets you, starting in a specified folder and
optionally recursively, show on the fly only files of (a) specified
type(s), like mp3, m3u (playlists), pdf, scr (screensavers), or what
have you, which you then start with the associated program.

Note also that there is no need to have ShortPupop start with Windows
and then have it running all the time.
Instead, you put a shortcut to it on e.g. your QuickLaunch bar.
When you click that and select an item you start Explorer or play the
playlist or whatever and ShortPopup quits.